Driveshaft loops

I had my driveshaft out when I installed the loop, but I think you can disconnect the u joint and slide the shaft towards the tranny (hehe, I said shaft and tranny) to get enough space to slip it on.

Kirban's
It's a bolt in comes with new bolts same holes no drilling

It doesnt work with aftermarket driveshafts with larger u-joints. Ask me how i found out. Jack cotton has one that works with any shaft.

It doesnt work with aftermarket driveshafts with larger u-joints. Ask me how i found out. Jack cotton has one that works with any shaft.

Good to know. The one Jack stocks does it bolt right in?

Good to know. The one Jack stocks does it bolt right in?
Mine bolted in but i had to use a few small washers between it and the mounting point to space it away from the tunnel. About .125inch. The loop is the largest it can be for the tunnel though. You cant get a larger loop in there without cutting the floor. I have an aftermarket ds with larger u-joints and tube. The front U-joint clobbered the Kirban style loop when the car was on level ground.

the kirban one was hitting my stock shaft/joint under wot and making a rackit...it was driving me crazy but jacks son brian figured it out for me...i got the umi style one now..

i got a UMI one and it did not fit. it would have needed almost an inch of washers and some long bolts to work! so me and my buddy modded it but i didnt have time to install it before i left for college:(

No problems with HR Parts loop w/ 3.5" shaft. Part#HR 0801 $67

IMG_0824.jpg

Brent, do you have anymore pictures of your DS SL install? I'm interested to know how big the loop is, how close to the floor pan, etc. I've got the same size DS you have and am really interested in what you've got going on. Thanks!

+1 for the Metco loop. Had one on the WH-1 and it fit good. I think the ears may have been welded on backwards (either that or I installed it wrong...), but other than that it was SOLID. Fit good and didnt hit anything, I just really wanted a red one... :frown: I have one on my GN that was made by a MAGNA member. It works good.

I got a UMI loop and it wasn't even close to fitting. I was anxious to get to the track so I got my hands on some plate steel scrap of the same thickness and modded it. It fits really well now although I am not impressed that I had to cut up a 60 dollar piece of steel.

If I had to do it again and wasn't in a hurry I would find a piece of steel tubing (something like 6 inch 1/4 inch thick to go around the shaft and fabricate the whole thing by myself. Might still do it if I find the right tubing scrap as you can tell the one I had needed to be "tweaked" to fit the right way.

Joe

+1 for the Metco loop. Had one on the WH-1 and it fit good. I think the ears may have been welded on backwards (either that or I installed it wrong...)

Scott, I don't think that's possible...unless you re-drilled the holes in the flanges. :biggrin:

Scott, I don't think that's possible...unless you re-drilled the holes in the flanges. :biggrin:

Well, I never redrilled anything. I do remember it hitting the floorpan, so maybe the car itself was tweaked...:confused: We made it work and even then it didnt hit anything and I never had a problem with it.

Brent, do you have anymore pictures of your DS SL install? I'm interested to know how big the loop is, how close to the floor pan, etc. I've got the same size DS you have and am really interested in what you've got going on. Thanks!

More Pics
IMG_1595.jpg

IMG_1596.jpg

IMG_1594.jpg

This loop I bought from HR Parts. It bolted right in and doesn't rub w/ 3.5'' DS.