You can type here any text you want

Drunk Driver hit my car tonight at work.

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

WakkoSS

One of the guys at work rear ended a car tonight...ok, it happens. So I went to the scene and in the melee of traffic, another car got rear ended and the offender left. Great...so I do a crash report and wait for the tow for the first police car. All of a sudden, SCREECH BOOM!!! Stupid lady plows into the back of my car. Overhead lights on, hazards on, and strobes...and she hits me. Turns out she was pretty hammered. Figures. She went to jail, and now I gotta get my police car fixed. Kinda funny, actually. I'll post pics tomorrow, but there's not much damage.

Scary! I think bars should have breathalizers there so people can actually see how drunk they are before they leave.

Also, I thought you were talking about your GN getting hit! :eek:

Heh, no, not the GN. But I've been in THREE accidents in 6 weeks. Someone backed into my GN 6 weeks ago or so, a motorcyclist ran from me and sideswiped my police car two weeks ago, and now tonight. None my fault, but aggravating. She was on Zanax and had only two glasses of wine. I have the receipt to prove it too.

And actually, a police car is pretty safe. Since cops can't get tickets in police car crashes, we can't issue tickets to other people in police involved crashes. So you can slam your car into mine and say "oops" and not get a ticket.

You said YOU got hit? Did you mean your actual body was hit by a car??? That's gonna be a DWI that nobody will wanna touch!

Glad to hear you're alright. All these accidents though, maybe you should get into something safer. Like homocide! :)

Previously posted by WakkoSS:
"And actually, a police car is pretty safe. Since cops can't get tickets in police car crashes, we can't issue tickets to other people in police involved crashes. So you can slam your car into mine and say "oops" and not get a ticket."

Just out of my curiousity:
Is that local police policy, procedure, and/or city, state, or federal law.

Wakko,

You know the strobes are the idiot/dui magnets.. I have had a few close calls in the past, and was actually t-boned by a woman that had already stopped and as I pulled out after i cleared traffic (Lights/sirens, airhorn) she must have floored it and hit my driver side..She got a ticket though.. :eek:

I was hit head on by a drunk driver while on patrol at 2am on a Saturday about 2 yrs ago. Totaled a new Crown Vic. I had an academy student with me and he suffered the worse. His kneecap was torn off the bone.Even after several surgeries he still has a problem walking. The end of his future career right there.I suffered airbag burns, cuts and brusies but was very lucky. The drunk driver veered off the road after the impact and struck a tree. He was passed out all the way to the hospital, not unconcious. After his release from the hospital he fled to NC where hes been handling his affairs though the phone and his attorney.:rolleyes:

I was stopped with my strobes on blocking for a vehicle stalled in the road. I was rear ended by a drunk driver. Totalled the Crown Vic. I had a little whiplash but nothing serious. We issue tickets to people that hit police cars. If the officer is at fault in a collision, they do not get a ticket. They get disciplined internally. Usually a day off without pay and it goes on your record. Multiple at-fault collisions can get you sent to an assignment where you dont get a car and can even get you fired.

I have to admit that it is kinda hard not to look at an accident but I do a really good job of ignoring them. I'm affraid that I'll be the one that hits somebody if I look..lol..

I also think the flashing lights hipnotize drivers into a blank stare which causes drivers to run into the person in front of them.

Glad you didn't get hurt;)

ks

The cops not getting a ticket for things that citizens may get one is the kind of crapolla I have bitched about in other threads about The Man.

Any type of driver for work that gets tickets or into accidents stands a very good chance of getting fired

Glad no serious injuries.

I watched a program about the exploding gas tanks in police cars/Crown Vic's. It looked like Ford had to hit it damn hard, like 70 MPH, before the tank ruptured. Yeah it is doable at highway speed if no brakes are used, but damn man, how safe can a car be made???

Actually, I'm not sure if it's just BSO policy or whatnot. The first police accident last night was clearly the cop's fault...driving with head up ass. He got no ticket. A few weeks ago, a sober girl rear ended my roommate at a light, and later on a semi sideswiped him...neither driver got a ticket. Last night, the DUI chick got the DUI ticket, but not one for actually rearending me.

And yeah, the lights are definitely DUI magnets. The icing on the cake though was that the lady used to live in my zone and she used to call us for BS stuff like her neighbor's garage door (against the association rules) and she'd be nasty to us. We all knew her by name. I got out of the car yesterday and she goes "Oh, ****."

Originally posted by WakkoSS
Heh, no, not the GN. But I've been in THREE accidents in 6 weeks. Someone backed into my GN 6 weeks ago or so, a motorcyclist ran from me and sideswiped my police car two weeks ago, and now tonight. None my fault, but aggravating. She was on Zanax and had only two glasses of wine. I have the receipt to prove it too.

And actually, a police car is pretty safe. Since cops can't get tickets in police car crashes, we can't issue tickets to other people in police involved crashes. So you can slam your car into mine and say "oops" and not get a ticket.
WHOA!....how's that! You hit a police car here in Michigan and you're at fault, you better put both hands together to collect your tickets.

In fact at night it's known that drunks are attracted to the flashing lights and drive right into police cars. You'll notice some departments are able to turn off their rear warning and only keep the strobes flashing to the front just for this very reason.

Hey TT/A1233........................

I stopped b your cars last year at Autorama on Saturday night to say "Hi" and introduce myself. You were not around the few times I came by. Nice cars!!:)
Are you bringing them down this year?

Don't want to hijak the thread.
WakkoSS glad to here you were not hurt. They can always replace sheet metal. Thanks to all the police officers out there protecting and serving our nation.

Here in California the CHP only turns on the light bar when safety dictates it. On a routine traffic stop they leave if off if they can park in a safe spot. The reason is that drunks are drawn to the lights like moths.

Re: Hey TT/A1233........................

Originally posted by Steve Petro
I stopped b your cars last year at Autorama on Saturday night to say "Hi" and introduce myself. You were not around the few times I came by. Nice cars!!:)
Are you bringing them down this year?

Don't want to hijak the thread.
WakkoSS glad to here you were not hurt. They can always replace sheet metal. Thanks to all the police officers out there protecting and serving our nation.
Too bad I missed you. Still have the Grand National showing 1,297 miles and the TTA's gone. Had to liquidate it to upgrade houses.

There's not as much of a police presence here, but when they do have someone pulled over, most of the time the don't have their lights on. Most police here only have two rotaries and don't have strobes like American police cars do. Y'all have more strobes then a disco. :)

The two times I've been pulled over here, the police didn't turn on their rotaries. One time the officer pulled up behind me at my apartment (speeding). He gave me a verbal warning and went on his way. The other time I didn't have my emmisions sticker up to date on my tags. He pulled up beside me at a light and asked me to pull over after the intersection. No rotaries. For an accident they will sometimes unless the accident has been moved off to the side.

Just a little more trivia for the officers in here. When the police need to pull someone over on the highway or while moving they will usually not turn on their overhead rotaries. Some police have an LED sign that lights up in reverse "HALT POLIZEI". Also, they have a 'paddle' that the officer will wave out the window. The paddle has a light in the center and says "POLIZEI" on the border. The next time I get pulled over I'll take pics. :)

Originally posted by WakkoSS
Actually, I'm not sure if it's just BSO policy or whatnot. The first police accident last night was clearly the cop's fault...driving with head up ass. He got no ticket. A few weeks ago, a sober girl rear ended my roommate at a light, and later on a semi sideswiped him...neither driver got a ticket. Last night, the DUI chick got the DUI ticket, but not one for actually rearending me.

Hey Blown&Injected, I don't suppose that you're outraged by the fact that some civilians weren't issued tickets, are ya? Although I suppose you think the first cop should be burned at the stake, huh?:p

The first department I was with had a traffic unit that would specifically investigate fatal crashes & any crash involving one of our police cars. They would not hesitate to write a fellow cop (in the same department mind you!!) a citation if the evidence was there! Does that make ya happy?:D

Back