You can type here any text you want

DSM versus GN

• Thread starter Thread starter coldfusion78
  • Start date Start date

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Nice to hear that the DSM guys are a pretty cool bunch of car guys... I know of some DSM guys that own a shop down here and the one guy who is a mechanic at the shop is builting a first gen frontwheel drive eclipse or talon with a T66 ball bearing turbo and a 150 shot of spray... the motor is fully done and is expected to put down about 700whp and is mainly gunning for the bikes and anything else wanting to go from a roll... so you better believe I respect those cars and just about anything that has a turbo!!:) :)

Oh yeah I just remembered that the car is not an eclipse or talon it's called a Laser, but it has the same motor as the others if I'm correct... Anyways the car is a total sleeper... also I heard the second gen motors are not as good as the first gens. What gives??:confused: :confused:

The second gens suffer from crankwalk if I'm not mistaken. I tired to post on the DSM page but it wouldn't let me regester... make sure you let them know you can run 11's with stock internals, intercooler and turbo. ;)

Yeah, I tried to register too to teach them a little about these cars.. high 14s stock...gnx= high 13 to low 14s stcok..where did they get that from? I especially liked the guy who claimed to keep up with one with only $300 in mods. i'll be glad to show him what $300 in mods can do for us... :cool:

Yeah they maybe a little misinformed, but they pretty much get the point that GN's are fast cars and those things can fly with just bolt ons much like our cars do... plus you can buy those cars for very cheap and mods aren't too bad price wise... I've seen some of those cars... first gens selling for about 3 to 4000$$$... not to bad... I would definetly say they are the best bang for the buck for the import crowd and get disent gas with being a 4cyl... I don't understand why kids who are into the imports don't pick these cars... being factory turboed and intercooled with awd or frontwheel drive... guess they are a little uninformed??? :confused: :confused: Instead they go for the weed wacker honduh's lol?? Oh welll I guess if speed kills the honda guys will live forever!!!:D :D

Because most of them know nothing about cars. They buy things that are 'cool' like a Civic, go figure. Most of them probably don't even know what a turbo is/does and same goes for an intercooler.

Originally posted by blackshoebox
Oh yeah I just remembered that the car is not an eclipse or talon it's called a Laser, but it has the same motor as the others if I'm correct... Anyways the car is a total sleeper... also I heard the second gen motors are not as good as the first gens. What gives??:confused: :confused:

Talon/Eclipse/Laser is almost exactly the same cars. The only difference was that teh laser was not available with AWD till 92 and was out of production at the end of the 1st gen bodystyle. Overall tho the Laser was like a T type.. a lil lighter then the other two..

Yea, most DSM guys (and girls) I've met are pretty cool. I was down at Atco a few years back, and there must have been a DSM club there as i've never seen so many at one place. Some of those cars were in the 11's!!

Yeah, some seemed pretty misinformed, but the guy who said you can pull the front wheels on a nearly stock GN actually wasn't too far from the truth. I've never done it with my car, but I'm not into breaking things for the sake of a cool picture.

To pull a front wheel with a stock GN, you need 10.5 X 26 slicks, probably a right side airbag, removal of the front sway bar and have an emergency brake that will hold 20+ psi of boost at the line.

If the car hooks, you will see daylight under the driver side front tire. There was a picture circulating the internet years ago of a high 12/low 13 GN (at 102 mph or so - which is slow for a stock car with recipe mods) that had the driver side tire six inches in the air using this technique.

I wonder at what point is it better to make the awd DSMs rwd... How fast can they go with the awd?? I know this is an issue with the awd syclone and typhoon guys who are really pushing the numbers... 10's and 9's... I heard it ain't cheap to convert them though.

Kenny

You are right most people now nothing about cars and seem to only quote HP. Low RPM torque is what the Buick cars so quick.
I also roam an F-Body sight, again all of the guys / gals quote HP. Who in the hell is going to race over 80 anyways. Idiots...:D

that guy who clams that he can beet a gn with 300 worth of mods. well i'll make him a deal i'll run him on the weak 11 psi i'm running now for 300 and if i lose i'll give him 300. but then again do i really want to waste my time?

yea right..

i may have known that gn driver that beat that dsm guy. ive beat several dsm's on my strip this summer as well. ahh well, at any rate, for 300 bones, a stock gn driver could install dual airbags, a new fuel pump and afpr. then, for no money, he could throw on his own engine tie down strap, box his own rear upper control and lower trailing arms, turn up his boost, gut his cat, and throw in some turbo blue, and at that point, be running MUCH MUCH faster than any dsm could ever dream of. and if hes so inclined, even make his own true cai for 50 dollars, by just buying a 40 dollar cone filter, and 10 bucks worth of piping and clamps. if he wanted to go one step further, dont buy a couple cartons of cigarettes for the next two weeks, and he could buy a chip and throw in a power plate as well. for next to NOTHING you could shave HOURS off of your quarter mile times in a turbo regal. no other machine on this planet that rolls on 4 wheels can shave that much time, with that amount of money. Though, I have to admit, wanting to replace my bmw with a 2nd gen talon, because theyre all wheel drive, and i need that here in detroit with the harsh weather. but i think im going to try and do a hot air as a daily driver instead.

wow, old thread..

but did you read jonny cash's response on the DSM thread??

Its called tourque loss.. Ever heard of it? Sure your "built" tranny will outshift a manual transaxle, but how much money did it cost to build? As you FWD DSM guys probably know its all about gearing... Well with any car for that matter. The fun factor is all there with a manual. No offense to the regal T's/ GN's ( I owned an 85 ) but the argument you speak doesent ride, because pretty much any modded car on this board will eat you up on a road course.. You actually have to know how to drive when you step onto anything that consists of turning in a RWD Regal body.

Eat us up on the road course? Most likely yes but the guys weren't talking about road racing....typical sore loser ricer response. LMAO

Funny Quote

least I can say I tried. And try I did, I had to pull over and pull out my binoculars to see him (okay he didn't beat me that bad but you get the picture).
Mannnnn.. that was funny. Love having this feeling when the guys have to bring out there binos to see us way up there.

decent..

yea, maybe our interiors are dated a little...but theyre not THAT bad are they? (i dont, as i dont posess any unbiased perception, as i am very biased torwards 80's cars)
I mean yea, theyre not the sleek, dark grey leather interiors of the newer cars, but we got room, and i admit, the two tone seats can be a bit different to newbies but hey, just throw some simple all black seat covers on em, and the interior wouldnt be that bad at all. I dont see the problem. Ahh well, at any rate, everyone is going to be biased torwards their own cars. (but ours are still faster)

yea, too bad noone takes 80's g bodies on 'road courses'... This isnt Europe. Were talking street racing or quarter mile tracks.
and at least cold fusion raced. he lost, oh well. ya win some ya lose some. we win and lose as well. its part of racing. sure its more fun to win, but racing is fun overall, and i could care less if i won or lost. its the exhilaration i'm after. and as far as fun factors... who was talking about fun factors.. i was talking about shifting accuracy and consistancy. the turbo regal is already fun enough regardless of the transmission configuation lol. our cars arent novelties, theyre muscle cars.
by the way, how ya doin pacemkr86? :cool:

Back