You can type here any text you want

Dual IC v/s Stocker

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

trading t/a

I'm Angry!!!!!
Does anyone else think that switching to a dual IC(ATI) and mounting them under each side of the nose would benefit the car at all. It's not like we have an open nose to duct fresh air into the IC. Or is that not a problem unless your going 11.0 or faster...

I think the bottom line is that no matter what you do you need to get airflow through the IC - duct in air, cut the nose, try and use the hood vents, add cooling fans. etc. IMHO they will really get heak-soaked if buried in the nose.

I guess that's why people have tried all kinds of things including liquid IC's and the one cooled by hte a/c compressor.

ATI has a kit with dual intercoolers (for camaro, but could modify the underneath of a t/a nose to work). I think they are 6x9 and seem to work. I think that the camaro nose is the ideal setup to ram air into the intercooler.(dont wanna swap noses that'd be dumb). I'll see about that project soon...............

6X9 seems awfully small for an I/C unless it's the kind used on some of the supercharger apps, no? I saw one installed on a Vette - small, but it did provide some intercooling.

Does ATI have a site with pics? Is the piping complex?

Also, your comment about swapping noses isn't far beyond reality.... I know a guy that is proposing swapping the lower bumper area for one of the new Firebirds that has an opening there. Interesting concept, except most TTA owners really don't want to hack the car. But..... it would be killer with a front mount I/C.

I did see Uffe (the Swede) post a picture of a TTA with the newer style hood scoop. Not sure what a hood scoop does for you, but to each his own!

Why spend so much money on 2 or 1 BIG air cooled IC?

Since i have found a new car to play with i wont need the new builded stock like water cooled IC any more.
The IC fits in the stock brackets and hoses, just bolt on and connect to water.
IC is builded by a pro here in my hometown and TIG welded aluminium.
Have pic also.

Price is $700 and shipping included!

Please answer at: 021.335004@telia.com

Yes, i do have the 4th. gen style hood and i can tell you that all the hot air comes out better now.

Thanks!

Uffe - IMHO, the liquid IC's that work best for the street are the ones that also use a heat exchanger with a fan mounted to it. A pump circulates the water through the system and the heat exchanger cools the water and thus the incoming air. Some systems also have the ice-tank with a coil in it to provide "extreme" cooling.

Does your system include a heat exhanger?

Originally posted by mark b
Does your system include a heat exhanger?

Nope, but a real proof of the Swedish skill.
Interested can email me for a pic.

A stock location IC like the CAS V-4 is good well into the 10's on a TR, so they should easly be good into the low 10's on a TTA. Even though TR have an open front end where air comes in, none of that air makes it into the IC as it is shielded by the scoop that fits around the the IC just as it does on the TTA. This is so that the hot air exiting the radiator does not enter the IC.
The only air going thru the IC on both types of cars is from the bottom scoop.
Now, you could come up with a "ram air" type scoop like they have for the TRs, but it may take away from some of the air trying to get to the radiator....just my thoughts

The TR's have that nice cutout area below the license plate in the lower bumper area. That feeds the IC scoop pretty nicely, and extending the scoop helps even more as you mention.
I've thought of trying to fabricate a wide, thin scoop that would go in the thin but wide area below the TTA valance.

I agree about the IC's and ET's..... but I think cars that are street driven around traffic in hot temps will get heak soaked IC's and loose their efficiency. How many people at the track do you see spraying their IC's between rounds trying to cool them down? So on the street, getting airflow through the IC (or finding an alternative) is king. I always notice how much faster my GN gets in cold temps with the front mount IC. Nothing like cold air blowing through that thing!

Still waaayyyy better than a hot-air turbo!

Just my .02 :-)

Right now I'm thinking of throwing a 10in. fan on the backside of the IC and taking off the crank fan. It should pull enough to cool down the intercooler a little better. On top of that the scoop is discontinued and mine is bashed being that it is so low to the ground it would be the same way with a replacement one. Time will tell......

Back