Duramax diesel owners -- Fuel question

SinistrV6

Valve Monkey
My Father-in-law has an '03 Chevy with the Duramax. He wants me to change the fuel filter (cause he's too cheap to go to the dealer). I say "no problem" and do a little search on how to do it on the 'net. The filter doesn't look like a big job but I'm concerned about the posts I read about needing aftermarket filters and water separators. Apparently GM won't warranty damage from water in the fuel unless they did all the work (filter changes) and it was done "on schedule".

Anyone know more about this? Should I advise him to get an aftermarket filter system?

Thanks guys,

i service mine my self. just save the recepits. also i change my oil every 3000 miles and change the fuel filter every other oil change. and i buy my filters from the dealer so they cant bitch about the brand. the fuel filter is a messy job but its easy----len--- dont for get to prime the filter with the pump on top of the housing. pump it till it gets hard. :eek:

Originally posted by LV GN
i . pump it till it gets hard. :eek:

Yea, I know about that, but what about priming the filter :)

I work in a High school, and I started laughing, the girl next me me (I fix PC's) said "What's so funny?"

You can change the filter from the top, might have to bend the AC line out of the way some. Or can take the fenderwell out, no big deal. Go to the dieselplace.com, there is a step by step in there somewhere. Great site, it is the TB.com of the Duramax world.
Also, I would suggest one of these, http://nicktane.com/filter.htm, to eliminate future EXPENSIVE injector failures. I have one on mine since 1000k. Injector failures are really the only major problem I have heard about these consistantly. HTH.

Thanks. I went to www.thedieselplace.com before posting here. However, it won't give me permission to view the forums I need to look at for this kind of stuff. What gives?

Whoa, scratch that! Just tried that forum again and it's all open. Maybe it took a little while since I was a new member.

Thanks for the help guys. I think I need to convince my father in law to let the dealership do the service on this thing, at least until it's out of warranty.

I think there is some law tha says the manufacturer can NOT force you to use their services.
See if you can contact Blown&Injected, I would bet he knows about those laws.
I think the law stems from years ago, Xerox required you to buy their paper in order to maintain warranty. The courts struck Xerox down on that deal.