You can type here any text you want

Duttweiler Oil Pump question?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Nojug

Trying to find out what oil pump gears to buy, I thought you were supposed to use a stock front cover with the high volume front cover gears is that correct? Thanks Jay

Correct. The Duttweiler pump kit comes with the (long) gears, and you use a standard pump front cover.

Originally posted by Mac in SD
Correct. The Duttweiler pump kit comes with the (long) gears, and you use a standard pump front cover.

MAC, do you remember what gasket you used?? The one I got with the kit seems INCREDIBLY thin. Possibly too thin to seal, and probably too thin for proper clearance?
Any suggestions?, OH, and how does one know where to set the bypass screw?

The V6 longer gears are the same ones that are used in a Buick 455 front cover as stock ones.

I just sprayed some of that copper spray on that thin gasket and sealed perfect.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

Dave, I just used the gasket, and no problems so far. Also, to check gear clearance, I assembled it in the cover before mounting it on the engine and checked for play (and binding) with the shaft. As far as the bypass adjustment, I followed the instructions that came with it.

Originally posted by Mac in SD
Dave, I just used the gasket, and no problems so far. Also, to check gear clearance, I assembled it in the cover before mounting it on the engine and checked for play (and binding) with the shaft. As far as the bypass adjustment, I followed the instructions that came with it.

Mine didn't come with ANY instructions for setting that up :mad:

Originally posted by gnxtc2
The V6 longer gears are the same ones that are used in a Buick 455 front cover as stock ones.

I just sprayed some of that copper spray on that thin gasket and sealed perfect.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

Are you sure? The reason I ask is because I have used a HV cover with Duttweiler oil pump. I had to use HV Buick 455 gears. The problem I ran into was the shaft for the big block was much longer and had to be shortened.

Originally posted by HighPSI
Are you sure? The reason I ask is because I have used a HV cover with Duttweiler oil pump. I had to use HV Buick 455 gears. The problem I ran into was the shaft for the big block was much longer and had to be shortened.

That is correct, the gears are the same, the shaft for the 455 is longer.

Thanks Bill. BTW, nice pictures of your car in GM High-Tech this month

So you can use a HV front cover but there would be no real advantage correct?

Back