You can type here any text you want

E.F.E burnout

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

HighDesert-T

Is it normal for this element to burnout? Been having problems with the car running rough in the AM and also failing to go into full boost on demand. Could the fact that this thing burned so bad that it melted the elements to the point where the passenger element was disconnected, be causing these problems.

I have the shop manuals and they don't say much about it. Is this thing necessary. Oh and if anyone has the Part Number it would be appreciated. Seems there are two of them. One for a manual choke and one for an electronic choke. I assume (bad word) that the '83's had an electronic choke. Correct?

Either way the Carb has been sent off for a rebuild.

Both of mine were burnt out. One was on a 42K mileage car. They don't last long and replacements were $100+ dollars. I whould bet everyone's are dead. You can check them with an OHM meter without removing the carb. There should be some (high) resistence.

I suggest removing them and not replacing them. This might cause some problems when cold, but not much. It was in the 30's this morning and I got in, started the car and drove away. All that metal under the primaries can't be good for flow, and I wouldn't want any burnt chunks flying thru the turbo.

Don't go full boost until you warm the engine up. I would bet the carb locks out the secondaries when cold. The choke is electric.

"I whould bet everyone's are dead."

Mines not. I replaced it about a year ago. :D I can get them for $89.00 plus 7.6% tax. If you can get good deals at some place that sells ACDelco parts, the part # is 216-15.

OK Pat..almost everyones :p
I don't have one either..hmmm $89 or $7 for a 82 gasket.....I know want is sitting under my carb.
My car is a daily driver and has seen temps 20-100 in the last 2 years with little problems. I get more problems in the cold with the 160 deg Tstat.
Jim

Mine chugs and and sputters when cold and did it worse without that EFE. It warms up and smooths right out.

Back