E85 in alky tank?

northern87gn

trbolvr
Anyone (Razor) know if E85 is compatible with Razors alky kit? E85 is 85% ethanol and 15% gasoline. Have a station with it nearby and it would be cheaper/easier to run this instead of methanol. I suspect the pump may not like the gas part. What say you?

i dont think the petroleum is good on the pump. i wouldnt sacrifice a system and motor for a few dollars

Anyone (Razor) know if E85 is compatible with Razors alky kit? E85 is 85% ethanol and 15% gasoline. Have a station with it nearby and it would be cheaper/easier to run this instead of methanol. I suspect the pump may not like the gas part. What say you?

I have the smc kit and run e85 in the sprayer.I would think if the pump can handle methanol then e85 couldn't hurt it.E85 works fine and you can't beat the price.I'm useing e70 in the tank and spraying e85.I think if we ever get some summer heat I'll try e85 in the tank and spray e85 too.Try it in your sprayer i think you'll like it.

I dont think the tank or pump will be happy. Its not the alcohol content, but the petroleum content.

Just like you cant put gasoline in a milk jug. As the plastic used is not compatible with fuel.

I know from selling 1000's of these pumps the #1 killer is gasoline/contamination mixed with the alcohol. I can tell when a pump comes back in the shop from the odor inside it..

But hey.. the stuff on your car belongs to you.. whats the worse thing that can happen, it messes up the pump or creates a leak from the tank requiring replacement of both.. if not some other issue :redface:

I dont think the tank or pump will be happy. Its not the alcohol content, but the petroleum content.

Just like you cant put gasoline in a milk jug. As the plastic used is not compatible with fuel.

I know from selling 1000's of these pumps the #1 killer is gasoline/contamination mixed with the alcohol. I can tell when a pump comes back in the shop from the odor inside it..

But hey.. the stuff on your car belongs to you.. whats the worse thing that can happen, it messes up the pump or creates a leak from the tank requiring replacement of both.. if not some other issue :redface:

I have not heard that pump failure and leaking tanks were that common.Thanks for the advice. I'll keep a eye on mine.I would think the under hood heat and UV light [cars setting around with the hood up] could affect the tank some.I suspect a little UV protectant on the plastic tank wouldn't hurt. Good luck.

I have not heard that pump failure and leaking tanks were that common.Thanks for the advice. I'll keep a eye on mine.I would think the under hood heat and UV light [cars setting around with the hood up] could affect the tank some.I suspect a little UV protectant on the plastic tank wouldn't hurt. Good luck.

Its only common with fuel. Not methanol. And the problem is never on the outside.

Also.. Methanol has a very high ignition temperature. You get a rag and soak it in gasoline and it can ignite given enough heat. Not alcohol. Alcohol typically will evaporate before it ignites. Case in point, get a rag and soak it in gasoline.. the rag even after its dry still smells like gas. Not alcohol. And.. Typically alcohol requires an open flame. So I dont know if by using E85 the fire risk increases.

You may want to check with Steve at SMC and confirm whether or not to use E85 with his system. On mine.. I would say no.

That would be me. :D I had about 1/4 to 1/2gal of some leaded race fuel in my first batch of methanol. Having never used it before, I thought methanol from VP Racing was dyed purple and had no clue it actually had some leaded race fuel in it. Shortly after goofing with it, the pump began to leak at its head. I sent it back to Razor and the valving or something to that effect had shriveled up.

B