E85 tuning tips

Rob Lyons

I’m finally switching over to e85. I previously had a stock chip and injector combo I was running until my fuel pump and turbo went bad. I had pretty good success in dealing with the tt 5.7 chip as far as scanning, diagnosing problems, and tuning. Now that I am switching over to e85 is the tuning pretty much the same as pump gas (go as lean as possible until I see knock)? When turning up the boost what do I have to look out for on the powerlogger? What will make the car knock on e85?

I run my AFR in the 11.2-11.5 range. I don't add any timing. No more than the default . I have the TT 6.1 chip

I’m finally switching over to e85. I previously had a stock chip and injector combo I was running until my fuel pump and turbo went bad. I had pretty good success in dealing with the tt 5.7 chip as far as scanning, diagnosing problems, and tuning. Now that I am switching over to e85 is the tuning pretty much the same as pump gas (go as lean as possible until I see knock)? When turning up the boost what do I have to look out for on the powerlogger? What will make the car knock on e85?
I'd say something is seriously wrong to see knock with e85. From what I've read, common target AFR is around 10.5-10.8:1. Every car/ combo is different, so you just have to see what your car likes. As gnmaster stated above, his car likes it more on the lean side. FWIW, my TT5.7 chip is burned for 25 psi, timing is 23* across all gears, and at 25 psi, I hover in the 10.7:1ish range on the gas scale. If I decide to add more boost, I'll probably pull a degree or two of timing from 3rd and 4th gear. I wouldn't tune for knock if I were you. Stay on the safe (rich) side and make a pass. Then, slowly lean it out and see if your trap speed comes up.