E85

Its more like, is your fuel system compatible and computer fuel tables set up to run E85, NO.

You pretty much need a whole new fuel system to run this stuff or it will eat up your pump and lines. And a new fuel table due to it needing more fuel through out the rpm band.

E85 needs about 40% more fuel due to its lower BTU levels. That means a 40% bigger pump and injectors. It also is not very friendly at starting in colder weather.

Though the stuff is 105 octane and pretty damn cheap, its not worth it in the long run. I would just get an alky kit and run 93.

I was going to do this to my 69 GTO but the injectors and pump were going to have to be huge to support the horse power I plan on making.

DrBooster,

I know that Methanol is very corrossive(sp) but thought that ethanol was considerable less??

I don't know what percentage the mix is but read an article that ethanol can raise the octane by 4 full points.

HOW

my 84 loves E85- it runs stronger thru the entire rpm band with no detonation, it starts and drives the same, and fuel economy only went down from 18ish to 15. i get to help clean up the air, lower dependance on foreign oil, help local farmers, and - most importantly- it feels like it gained 30hp according to my butt dyno. too bad the stuff is kind of hard to find right now.
at $1.69 a gallon, it costs me less per mile than my beater Caprice that gets 20 mpg on $2.15 87 octane.
i can't be sure of the long term consequences and all that, but a bigger fuel pump and hotwire kit are in the works as soon as i get caught up on all the debt i piled up over the winter keeping the house lit up and warm.

Originally posted by novaderrik
my 84 loves E85- it runs stronger thru the entire rpm band with no detonation, it starts and drives the same, and fuel economy only went down from 18ish to 15. i get to help clean up the air, lower dependance on foreign oil, help local farmers, and - most importantly- it feels like it gained 30hp according to my butt dyno. too bad the stuff is kind of hard to find right now.
at $1.69 a gallon, it costs me less per mile than my beater Caprice that gets 20 mpg on $2.15 87 octane.
i can't be sure of the long term consequences and all that, but a bigger fuel pump and hotwire kit are in the works as soon as i get caught up on all the debt i piled up over the winter keeping the house lit up and warm.

Good to hear! I've already mailed Eric Marshall to ask if he can burn a chip for use with the E85 stuff. I hope he can, but figure the boost may have to be turned down a tad, but what the heck if it can be made for under a couple bucks a gallon it sure beats the heck out of paying $2.45 per gallon 93 stuff.
A
HOW

Thanks again,
HOW

I do not want to sound like a prick here but you guys need to read up on this stuff and talk to a Chevron or Marathon engineer about it. I have an its 105 octane and NOT supposed to be run on your stock fuel system and without computer modifications.

You are quite welcome to be the voice of doom or reason, as you may see it. But the Silver6 seems to do quite well on about a 50/50 blend of 91 and E85. I do notice a difference in the smell of the exhaust.

Info from the Iowa state site:

http://www.agriculture.state.ia.us/e85facts.html

E85 has the ability to absorb more moisture from the air and in the long term that could lead to additional corrosion in a stock fuel system. Modern dual fuel systems have more stainless than ours from 1987 and prior. They also have a sensor to check fuel mixtures and automatically adjust injector flow. This covers the issues of drivability and emissions.

E85 is a "lighter" fuel and does require more to do the same work as compared to a standard gasoline blend. The Iowa site says about 27%. But the current offset of pricing at the pump more than covers that spread. This study rates E85 against regular grade gasoline, but factor in the cost of premium and it gets more competitive. And the price of E85 stays more consistant day to day.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/byfuel/FFV2000.shtml

The NA crowd has been using E85 for years. Why buy a high priced race gas when you get 105 octane at the corner pump? In a carb fed system the major change is to a larger set of jets.

One of the great things about these cars and this board is so many people try different things. Lets see how this one works out. We could see more stainless for our fuel systems and dedicated chips for the street and strip.