early 3.8 FWD fuel rails appear to fit

Blazer406

Mechanical Engineer
Took my fuel rail ('87 GN) to the junkyard yesterday.....I was going to check to see if the early FWD fuel rails might interchange. The early FWD cars had an off center motor similar to ours.....and the intake is not oo different either....Upon close inspection.....I believe it will work just fine. The only difference I see.... is the shrader valve is just before the fuel pressure regulator... and pointing straight up.... which IMHO.... might be better anyway....

Anybody else come to this conclusion?

I think the rail on our cars is a little wider than the FWD cars.

When I lay one ontop of the other... they appear identical... even down to the mounting holes. Keep in mind this is just for the '85-'87 or so FWD 3.8's..... the ones that look like the pic below... only difference is the test port sticking up instead of to the front.....

Attachments

• 1987 Lesabre FWD engine.JPG
    1987 Lesabre FWD engine.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 299
If the bends are in the same place, it will work. I think some are wider as mentioned above. I thought they all worked previously, but ran across this problem.

If the bends are in the same place, it will work. I think some are wider as mentioned above. I thought they all worked previously, but ran across this problem.

When I lay them ontop of each other... they are the same width.... and the injectors install at the same point on the rail.....

Well, I remember when I first compared them to our turbo cars. As I recall, they were the same. Years later, I noticed some of those I had gotten at the junkyard, in case I needed one in the future, weren't interchangeable with turbo cars. Now, why? I don't know. The one you have must be OK.

Well.... bad news..... I put my dial calipers to it.... bolt hole to bolt hole.... one is wider than the other by about a bolt diameter..... the naked eye can't really pick that up when you put one on top of the other.... cause the way it is made.... you cant physically get the bolt holes to get close enough together to touch. The calipers told the tale......the overall width of the rails is also off by the same distance.... approximately one bolt diameter.....

Oh well.... it was worth a try I guess.

Well.... bad news..... I put my dial calipers to it.... bolt hole to bolt hole.... one is wider than the other by about a bolt diameter..... the naked eye can't really pick that up when you put one on top of the other.... cause the way it is made.... you cant physically get the bolt holes to get close enough together to touch. The calipers told the tale......the overall width of the rails is also off by the same distance.... approximately one bolt diameter.....

Oh well.... it was worth a try I guess.

I guess they were never the same. :eek: I hope I don't have to make any refunds. :D