Getting closer to trying to start engine after frame off, but no fuel pressure reading

GoldHawg

I have a racetronix pump and lines on my frame off. I have an accufab pressure regulator and gauge mounted on the fuel rail (see pic). When I turn the key on, the fuel pump activates and I can feel and hear fuel coming in on the supply line, but I don't have any movement on the gauge that mounts to the end of the rail. Is there anything that has to be done on the new pressure regulator to get it to work? Since it hasn't been run at all yet, would just trying to start it ultimately get it to work? Appreciate any feedback.

Attachments

• IMG_4268.jpg
    IMG_4268.jpg
    877.8 KB · Views: 80
Is the shraeder valve sill in the rail? Does the gauge work right elsewhere?
Most gauges need the valve removed from the port to work, some have a fitting that pushes the valve in and can read directly.

Jump the white prime wire with green connector on it and see if it stays running

I did have the schraeder valve in and no, the gauge doesn't depress it. Removed put the gauge on and turned the key a couple of times. Pressure seemed to get up to about 25psi on the gauge but would drop off once the pump kicked off. Is it normal for the pressure to drop off? I did have fuel pressurized in the rail as I removed the valve, had to depress with a paper towel around if for quite a bit to relieve pressure.

Attachments

• IMG_4269.jpg
    IMG_4269.jpg
    728.7 KB · Views: 54
To complete my entirely new fuel system I installed a new Accufab AFPR and I had that same problem. Fuel pressure would drop to zero within a few seconds after the pump shut off. Put the used Kirban AFPR on there that I had lying around and it will hold pressure for hours after the pump stops. A leaky injector could also bleed off the pressure once the pump shuts off.

In my case the Accufab preformed the same as the Kirbans when logging fuel pressure in Powerlogger so does it matter, I can't really say.

Check valve in the fuel pump could be fukd.
I suppose; but its a brand new racetronix 340 pump so I can eventually run E-85, and I have all new Deka IV 80lb injectors, along with the racetronix lines.

Last edited:
But on the extremely good news, I figured, hey, if I have fuel pressure--let's just see if this thing will try to start. So I crank it over and it fires up instantly--1st time in about 15 years. I shut it off after only a couple of seconds as I still have a lot to hook up (including all the air intake/MAF and associated wiring, and I don't have coolant in it yet). But I know that I did the timing chain replacement, and cam sensor install correct and the fuel system works!. Super excited to hear that engine fire up!

But on the extremely good news, I figured, hey, if I have fuel pressure--let's just see if this thing will try to start. So I crank it over and it fires up instantly--1st time in about 15 years. I shut it off after only a couple of seconds as I still have a lot to hook up (including all the air intake/MAF and associated wiring, and I don't have coolant in it yet). But I know that I did the timing chain replacement, and cam sensor install correct and the fuel system works!. Super excited to hear that engine fire up!
awesome Congrats !

To complete my entirely new fuel system I installed a new Accufab AFPR and I had that same problem.
Last one I had did the same thing.
Took it apart to find it was full of machining shavings. Reportedly not uncommon with his stuff.

I use one of these to check the pressure. Acton brand about $35.
It depresses the valve like a tire gauge does. Drains via the small fish tank hose to relieve pressure.
I don't trust rail gauges and I don't like that valve out of the rail either.
I check mine every few years to see of the gremlins changed the pressure.
71yOQCX1YML._AC_SY879_.jpg

Check valve in the fuel pump could be fukd.
I'm going to take the tank back down and pull the pump to change the digital dash sending unit to the regular analog style (which will work with one of the preprogrammed settings on my Retrotech dash (love it!). Do you have any guidance as to how I might be able to troubleshoot the check valve once I have the tank down? I'm suspecting based on the other comments its the AFPR, but if there is a way to check it while I'm in there I'd love to rule it out. Thanks all.

Attachments

• IMG_4378.jpeg
    IMG_4378.jpeg
    250.5 KB · Views: 41
I've never taken one apart, tho I believe Red Armstrong use to make an adjustment(s) to the ones he sold, so I assume they can be taken apart.

I've never taken one apart, tho I believe Red Armstrong use to make an adjustment(s) to the ones he sold, so I assume they can be taken apart.
AIRC, he jammed a wire into the relief to force it to stay closed. Y/N???