You can type here any text you want

easiest wat to check timing gear?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

garyk1970

Electronics Moderator
Staff member
thinking of driving the T to Kentucky from Georgia and I'm concerned about the OEM plastic timing gear.the car has 53,000 orig miles.i understand the engine was pulled and chrome rings were installed for the methanol test.can i pull the cam sensor and look/inspect for the timing gear,or is there an easier way?

Pulling the cam sensor will not get you a full visual inspection of the timing set. this best is to pull the timing cover and replace it. or dive the car very easy.

i have to pull everything off the frount of the motor,correct?

Gary, You are correct....have to pull it all. With the miles on the car I really do not think you'll have a bit of trouble w/ the chain. Drive it and enjoy. ;) When you get back replace it and do the valve springs at the same time w/ a set of Comp 979's.

I've pulled a few chains off several cars that had just a touch under a 100k and still looked perfect, my only concern was the age.

Gary, You are correct....have to pull it all. With the miles on the car I really do not think you'll have a bit of trouble w/ the chain. Drive it and enjoy. ;) When you get back replace it and do the valve springs at the same time w/ a set of Comp 979's.

I've pulled a few chains off several cars that had just a touch under a 100k and still looked perfect, my only concern was the age.

my only concern was the age of the parts too.i hate to scramble at the last minute to get all this done (my bussiness is booming right now)and have problems on the road later.my plans was to drive all summer and this winter do the chain,valve springs,new gaskets and seals.then the ol girl will be very nice.
still concerned,but i cant afford to pull a car that gets 25mpg with a tahoe that only gets 11.5 pulling a load:eek: .
I need a couple more buick brothers opinions as getchasums' to ease my mind. thanks again.

I changed mine at 96K miles and it still looked good. I think you will be ok. Not sure what kind of life it had prior to me buying the car, but I changed it out right after buying as to not take any chances.

Dannyo

Drive it & dont worry!! The Plastic Gears can go well over 100K quite easily!
I would be more concerned about the MAF if its stock!

thanks guys,ive got back up parts and tools that i plan on taking ;) .im going to drive her and enjoy then....now to put on the new tires and check all the belts,hoses.....
maybe turn the fuel pressure down and cruise to save fuel (no boost while the fp is down).... should be able to make the trip on one tank (30 gal:eek: )

maybe turn the fuel pressure down and cruise to save fuel (no boost while the fp is down)....

Turning the FP down shouldn't make any difference in mileage... the ecm will just compensate for decreased FP by raising BLM/INT's... adding fuel.... unless the meth-mobile has a funky engine management setup?? :confused: or am I missing something??? Have a nice trip! :)

Gary, you will be fine, drive and enjoy it. We got into trouble with ours by changing the valve springs and not the timing set. We lost the engine due to the plastic gear coming apart because of the new springs (stock type) were too much for the 195,000 mile cam gear on our 85 GN. Hope to see you there.

Jim

Turning the FP down shouldn't make any difference in mileage... the ecm will just compensate for decreased FP by raising BLM/INT's... adding fuel.... unless the meth-mobile has a funky engine management setup?? :confused: or am I missing something??? Have a nice trip! :)

nothing special,just thought it would help??

Gary, you will be fine, drive and enjoy it. We got into trouble with ours by changing the valve springs and not the timing set. We lost the engine due to the plastic gear coming apart because of the new springs (stock type) were too much for the 195,000 mile cam gear on our 85 GN. Hope to see you there.

Jim

cool, look out for me....im there fri morning.

Dont worry about cleaning the car. It has been raining here in BG all morning. My nice clean car will now have the pretty waterspots if it stops today.:rolleyes:

Back