Eaton 30 spline - GN retrofit info thread

Blazer406

Mechanical Engineer
Alright guys, there is no one place that I've found a "how-to" to buy the necessary parts to step up to 30 spline axles and a stock style Eaton Posi unit.

I need input from those who know. We can use this thread from now on..... so guys that know.... contribute please....

Fact: GM has discontinued the 28 spline clutch kits. I understand repalcement clutch kits are nearly non-existent at this point.

Fact: GM did make certain later model vehicles with a 8-1/2" 30 spline Eaton posi that I think would work in our cars with some modifications.

Where I need help is what is required to go with the posi.

I "think" the posi is a 19559-010 Eaton.
I "think" you must also change out the carrier bearings. I don't know the part number
I "think" that Moser is making a "drop-in" 30 spline axle thet would make this easier to do.
A103004 - This is supposed to be a "direct-fit" Moser axle set for a GN converted to 30 splines

Copy and pasted off a thread on v8buick.com by member "monzaz" He appears in many posts and appears to know what is going on.

-28 spline axles are stock in GM 8.5 till 1989. Grand National was one of the last performance 28 spline Rwd vehicles ...
-1990-1998 8.5 10 bolt were 30 spline c-clip rears
-1999-2009 8.6 were 30 spline axles and had larger carrier bearings (same size as the 12 bolt chevy of old.) A36 bearing set.

SOME eaton posi units can be converted to 30 spline from 28 BUT the carrier case where the axle slides into the side gear through needs to be machined larger...AND since they already build 30 spline units this would really be redundant in a way...definitely NOT cost effective.

30 spline is as big as the 71 72 BUICK 8.5 rear can be made with the bearing A9 712146 seal. But if we used the A10 bearing and matching seal we could build a 33 spline wagon rear...that would be cool and stealthy...anyone want to front some money for that fun build...:)

On Cotton's website, they advertise the 30 spline Eaton carrier but have a disclaimer that it requires the larger carrier bearings.

Can we get some of the rear end folks that have done this to chime in and make this thread more valueable?

you need to change to the large bore side bearings and races

you need 30 spline c-clip style axles (not the race axles as they are larger bore (wont fit the outer wheel bearings) and require large bore c-clip eliminators
youll also need studs for the axles
youll need a shim kit and you should replace the ring gear bolts

--------------------------

install the new bearings to the carrier , you can press them on but a BFH and a proper driver tool will do it
transfer the old ring gear , clean it and use new bolts and loctite on threads (torque to 90 and they are LH threads)
pop it in and shim to set the backlash and preload using the shim kit (torque caps to 60)
slide in the axles , c-clips , install the carrier pin and retainer bolt (5/16 head bolt)
put the cover on (torque to 20)
fill it up to the fill plug on the case with gear oil and diff additive

This is kinda getting OT from my original intent, but good rear end info all the same.....

Is it not possible to do the 30 spline and c-clip eliminators at one time? or do the ford housing ends?

I'm thinking I might not break new 30 spline aftermarket c-clip axles, but with my luck..... it would be bad......

The 19559-010 is correct. For bearings you need (2) LM102949 to fit the new carrier, and (2) LM102911 to fit your GN housing. For axles/ eliminators I used Strange part number P1011GOT, it comes as a kit (axles and eliminators), believe you need to specify spline count. The eliminators in this kit are the tapered bearing style, good for any use/abuse.

This is kinda getting OT from my original intent, but good rear end info all the same.....

Is it not possible to do the 30 spline and c-clip eliminators at one time? or do the ford housing ends?

I'm thinking I might not break new 30 spline aftermarket c-clip axles, but with my luck..... it would be bad......

my reply was off topic??

yeah good luck.. out.

Have not looked at the elinimator kit mentioned, is it the bolt on style or the new housing ends, I recommend the new housing ends for a leak free rearend.
Not really rocket science, the rear should be out of the car and gutted anyway for the gear setup.
May I suggest going ahead with the 1350 yoke at the same time, no sense making the axles stronger and then spitting the driveshaft out.
But that is just me, I like to do things once, think thru an entire process then take action. I believe Moser can provide you with the housing ends and correct axles with one phone call, Jack can hook you up with the new posi of choice.