You can type here any text you want

Ebay intercooler?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Dutchboy

Has anyone had any luck with these? Is there a decent front mount intercooler that is half ass ok?

I have one. Works fine for the times in my sig. I think it will be good to mid to high tens, which is where I want to end up. I got it second hand from a friend of mine. Don't know the actual dimensions but it is a 4" core. It did not come with any of the piping or mounting hardware so I had to fab it all up myself. I think I paid $200 for the core and have about $300 in silicone couplers and mild steel tubing. It fits fine in front of the radiator but I had to route the pipes with u-bends around the bumper brackets. If you don't mind some fab work it was worth it to me to save the money. If you don't have the means to make the pipes, buy one already done.

Hope this helps
Steve

Before you make any decisions, I would do a search on here about Ebay IC's. If I remember correctly, I saw a pic of one that blew due to too much PSI.

these intercoolers, or the ones that are made in china??

*photo was shamelessly stolen from johndeergn.
**someone send me a picture of the china factory :eek:

Attachments

• OsaboFoundry.jpg
    OsaboFoundry.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 480
i hve a ebay 24x12x4 core. i paid i think 150 shipped. guys in the ls1 world use these all the time and have gone in the 8s with them. i currently made 700rwhp with one and im no were near maxing my turbo yet.

the IC actually looks better then some name brand ones

Got one for $150 shipped and it's seen 26lbs for the last two years wtihout any problems just don't use the crappy rubber silicone couplers they give out with some of the ic cores

Before you make any decisions, I would do a search on here about Ebay IC's. If I remember correctly, I saw a pic of one that blew due to too much PSI.

just remember PSI doesnt mean anything. its the amount of flow

I'm having a problem coming up with the money for the name brand FMIC, so i got to do something, do they sell the cheap ones with the pipes, and all for our cars?

I have one for 2 yrs now, no cutting the rad support like the power stroke.
When it arrived it was better quality than I expected. I bought quality silicon elbow hoses.

For a item that has no moving parts I think its fine, and does a more than adequate job.
Headers and turbos fuel pumps are to watch out for.
There is a really heated thread about this worth some laughs if you want to search about it.

I had one for a while and it worked good for me. It mounted fine,but piping was not a perfect match up to outlet on turbo. Also no instructions. Alot of trail and error involved in mounting and pipe placement. Nice shiny chrome finish.

Wow, I can't believe I lost track of this topic from last year.
OP, the CXR on Ebay is probably a step up from the stocker so go for it.
No one has actual MAT and turbo psi fluctuation comparisons ( stocker vs Ebay ) but those aren't important I guess. :confused:

But people that post data of E.T. and MPH don't really know how to test an intercooler, it says barely anything all alone especially when the cars running alky. 87GTA, you'll diss actual test info ( Buschur ) because it was done on a different car.:confused: How does the car what make a difference in the testing of heat transfer and pressure drop? Isn't the same turbo pushing 40psi the important, constant test factors?

Now, if the MAT temp rises 40 degrees over say an RJC, the knock could be tamed by alky and/or race gas, but on pump, knock city. Where in JDSfastGN's time slip does that show up? It won't since he's running a PAC alky kit to lower the MAT temps, this is why HEAT TRANSFER is a precious feature of intercoolers, especially on pump. Let's see him push 27psi on pump through a PTE and the CXR and see which one knocks more.

What about PRESSURE DROP, the Ebay's are probably better than the stocker, so +1 for CXR FMIC. But a 2psi difference vs say an RJC may not seem as a huge deal when you're running 24psi but run 30+ and tell me if the extra heat generated and the possibility of pushing the turbo even further from the efficiency island is no big deal. Spool up is always better on the lower pressure drop core as long as they are the same dimension and matched piping size.

JDSfastGN post, which says it all, seemed to go from the stocker to an Ebay FMIC. Did he go PTE etc to Ebay or stocker to Ebay?? And not posting any boost fluctuations from either stocker or aftermarket FMIC is again, missing the important info. But his time slip says everything, yet little to us who've been down this road before.

Other than the powerstroke one what other cars come with bad ass intercoolers? What is an less expensive brand that makes a good one. For the guys that say they have ones that they have used the **** out of with no problems what brand is it or send me a link..

with my CX intercooler. i only gained 15* from start of a run to top of 4th. thats no meth and that was only 93. take it for what its worth but i have no complaints with mine.

also on the dyno i only gained 5* from start of pull to end of pull. not to shabby for a Ebay cooler.

not saying buy one or not buy one but speaking on my real world experiences. Now also remember alot of heat is also from a ineffeicent turbo. if your turbo is past its efficent point its nothing more then a heat pump. Get one at the sweet spot and your temps will be much cooler. also number of bends and size of tubing affects heat as well.

for those wondering i run a PT88 with 3" tubing to IC and 4" tubing to the TB

OP, the CXR on Ebay is probably a step up from the stocker so go for it.
Not probably definately

No one has actual MAT and turbo psi fluctuation comparisons ( stocker vs Ebay ) but those aren't important I guess. :confused:

The vendors/brand should do a comparison I offered the use of my own car and "cheap intercooler " but no one took me up on it. Are they afraid of the results?

But people that post data of E.T. and MPH don't really know how to test an intercooler, it says barely anything all alone especially when the cars running alky. 87GTA, you'll diss actual test info ( Buschur ) because it was done on a different car.:confused: How does the car what make a difference in the testing of heat transfer and pressure drop? Isn't the same turbo pushing 40psi the important, constant test factors?

Not just a different car totally different intercooler design! Not relevant. Apple oranges comparison Im confused how it could be construed as relevant.:confused:

Now, if the MAT temp rises 40 degrees over say an RJC, the knock could be tamed by alky and/or race gas, but on pump, knock city. Where in JDSfastGN's time slip does that show up? It won't since he's running a PAC alky kit to lower the MAT temps, this is why HEAT TRANSFER is a precious feature of intercoolers, especially on pump. Let's see him push 27psi on pump through a PTE and the CXR and see which one knocks more.

The above statement is an assumtion that there will be a difference, all speculation that the CXR is inferior.
And why would you turn off the alky anyway? Thats like the V8 guys argument "Duhhh, Take the turbo off and we'll race"

What about PRESSURE DROP, the Ebay's are probably better than the stocker, so +1 for CXR FMIC. But a 2psi difference vs say an RJC may not seem as a huge deal when you're running 24psi but run 30+ and tell me if the extra heat generated and the possibility of pushing the turbo even further from the efficiency island is no big deal. Spool up is always better on the lower pressure drop core as long as they are the same dimension and matched piping size.

More assumtion and speculation.
Anyone can make a claim.
Is it possible a CXR is better than a RJC?... you can claim anything and leave it to the masses to disprove.

JDSfastGN post, which says it all, seemed to go from the stocker to an Ebay FMIC. Did he go PTE etc to Ebay or stocker to Ebay?? And not posting any boost fluctuations from either stocker or aftermarket FMIC is again, missing the important info. But his time slip says everything, yet little to us who've been down this road before.
Why do results not matter? Why does all the minutiae take presidence over results?

Mounted my Ebay IC, and it is very nice, also got the pipe kit. I only had to cut one pipe, and this thing flows so much, i had to turn the rod out on the turbo 8 truns just to get the boost to 20psi, now i got to add more fuel, or alky! Car runs like a beast!

ebay front mount 25x16x4

read the crx racing.com thread:)

Attachments

• my car 1184.jpg
    my car 1184.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 234
Back