You can type here any text you want

Ebay rotors and pads - opinions needed

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Slotted, yes. Drilled...H-ll NO! Drilled rotors crack very easily and will need to be replaced much sooner so stay away from them.

Slotted, yes. Drilled...H-ll NO! Drilled rotors crack very easily and will need to be replaced much sooner so stay away from them.

I've heard people say they crack but why would they drill them if they're just gonna crack. Yes i know it's for cooling but some of the best brake companies do the same thing. i.e. Bear, wilwood, brembo, ssbc etc. I'm not saying they won't crack as i've never had slotted and drilled rotors, but was considering the same thing. These rotors i looked at have been static coated to supposedly stop rust and prevent cracking. Any thoughts?

GRAND NATIONAL 82-87 Brake Rotors PREMIUM FRONT : eBay Motors (item 370313238181 end time Jan-28-10 17:11:01 PST)

They say the cross drilled helps with the cooling too. Here at the dealership we sell them to all the vette owners, just cuz they like the looks. I read a really good article that explained it in a couple of ways. The biggest point to be made was the cross drilled and slotted actually take so much brake surface are away that they recommended choosing one or the other, and both for just racing (like scca, not drag). I know in the past they were prone to some cracking, but now they seem to be under control. They come drilled from the factory on the Z51's, Z06's, grand sports, and the ZR1. Speaking of ZR1 we did just get a Maroon one delivered. That is such a sexy color. Ok back on topic. On something like our car I would think the slotted would be just fine.

If your going for looks, get them they do look good!
Budget minded, why not look at the gm ones?? I can get you the part # there sold under the delco name. Or just go back to the stockers. Or upgrade the spindles to the S10 blazer and run 11in rotors with dual piston calipers. Then upgrade those rotors, if you have to buy them anyways. I bought 2 complete knuckle assemblies through LKQ for 49 a side. Just havent put them on yet. I figured I would at least use up the brakes I have. lol

I dont think you ever did say why you wanted them to begin with.

I was thinking that they weren't that much more expensive than stockers and they were a direct bolt-on and a good upgrade so why not. The car is a street car 99% of the time. I have only taken it to the track twice. Not sure that dragging it is the direction I want to go.

I was thinking that they weren't that much more expensive than stockers and they were a direct bolt-on and a good upgrade so why not. The car is a street car 99% of the time. I have only taken it to the track twice. Not sure that dragging it is the direction I want to go.

Its your car, if you like them, get them! I agree with the looks of them for sure. They look nice behind the wheel, for sure. In the end if your happy thats all that matters right??

Stock Delco rotors or OEM equivelant. Stock compound brake pad. Make sure rear brakes are adjusted correctly. Flush entire brake system with new dot 4 brake fluid. Done.

I've heard people say they crack but why would they drill them if they're just gonna crack. Yes i know it's for cooling but some of the best brake companies do the same thing. i.e. Bear, wilwood, brembo, ssbc etc. I'm not saying they won't crack as i've never had slotted and drilled rotors, but was considering the same thing. These rotors i looked at have been static coated to supposedly stop rust and prevent cracking. Any thoughts?

GRAND NATIONAL 82-87 Brake Rotors PREMIUM FRONT : eBay Motors (item 370313238181 end time Jan-28-10 17:11:01 PST)

Consider this. The car is late 70's tech as far as the brakes (was designed in the late 70's) and you're compairing modern braking systems (C6-C7 Corvettes) to the same thing. A 3200 LB car is very heavy to be stopped by 10.5" front brakes and 9.5" (or smaller) rear drums. It doesn't have ABS or any of the advantages of the modern cars so the rotors will heat up faster and stop slower. Since the rotors heat up they're more likely to have an issue and cracking is just the begining of it. Warpage is the biggest problem but if you're willing to have them cryoed then you should be fine.

I'm betting a visit to the brake lathe will show they aren't even close to parallel.......

Back