Eclipse head unit??

1QUICK85

Big Old Turbo Turd!!
Ok, I bought an Eclipse last summer put it in and well it isnt the best head unit to use with stock speakers..........I am not impressed at all by my $240 deck.:eek: I have heard a lot about them and had one in my '93 Blazer with stock speakers and it was very nice sounding system. What is up with my new Eclipse.........why does it sound like **** with the stock speakers. I want to stay with stock style speakers.......I am not really into stereo systems at all. But, I do like a decent sounding system while I am driving the one car I do enjoy driving. Is it possible the deck is just putting to much power to those ***** speakers?

TIA, Nick

Eclipse have never been that good of a head unit to me, tuner sucks and poor power on the amplifier but its an excellent CD player..

Your telling me..........:mad: I may just end up throwing a nice Pioneer in there..........because the damn Eclipse just isnt cutting it. Last one I buy. I shouldnt have to purchase a damn box to get quality sound out of my stock speakers with head unit. Oh ya the rear speakers are aftermarket......not special, but better then stock.
Eclipse:rolleyes:

Let's not forget that the stock speakers aren't the greatest...
a 3 1/2 and 4X10 - only one of the worse combos ever.
Even if you have the CSII, the stereo sounds like crap at best.

If you put in the new deck and it sounds worse than it did with the stock head, I'd say it's the head unit. If it sounds the same, the fault lies in the speakers.

Ya I am going to replace the speakers and see how it performs then. Right now I got bigger problem. I think I got a blown headgasket.......white smoke, lots of it.........I have to do a leak down test this next week sometime. :( sucks.

Nick

Originally posted by zam70
Let's not forget that the stock speakers aren't the greatest...
a 3 1/2 and 4X10 - only one of the worse combos ever.
Even if you have the CSII, the stereo sounds like crap at best.

If you put in the new deck and it sounds worse than it did with the stock head, I'd say it's the head unit. If it sounds the same, the fault lies in the speakers.
I installed a decent Alpine with my csII and it sounds like crap, the speakers crackle and pop so I would change your speakers, I'm going to in mine!

I installed Memphis Sound speakers in the stock locations and they sound pretty good with the stock unit. Though I did have my stock unit refurbished.

you cant make chicken soup out of chicken **** man. My eclipse I've had for like 6 or 7 years workds great. to each his own I guess......

Ya, I know what ya mean...........right now I got bigger probs then my stereo working with stock speackers.......LOL........headgaskets blown. Anyways......I paid enough for the Eclipse it is staying right were it is and getting some nice pioneer speaker probably in the stock locations.

Someday the chicken **** will be chicken soup and everyone will enjoy it.:p

ya to each there own.........a 305?????;)

yeah yeah, the little 305...... The only reason I have a 305 in there is beacause I had a 87 Caprice that had only 40,000 miles on it and the motor is mint. It goes, it's probably one of the quicker 305's around, but wont win any races against a turbo V6 I'll tell ya that.:D

Thats alright............because I saw a picture of your car one time........very nice ride!! You do awesome work.......I should have you do mine when I get the money.......were talking years......:D damn school!!

Later, Nick

hey 85 where about are you in Wisconsin? just curious if your around the Green Bay area?

Madison area...........Columbus is about 20 mins. north of madison.....towards fond du lac. Probably like 2 to 3 hours from ya......LOL.

Nick

I agree with the fact that an Eclipse deck doesn't do much for the speakers. I'm driving an Exlipse GSX right now with an Eclipse deck (Awww... it matches:rolleyes: ), and my car has all aftermarket speakers: Memphis 5 1/2" doors, 4" Pioneers in dash, 6X9" Pioneer 4-ways in the back spots....

When I had an amp and sub in the car, the eclipse deck sounded great with the stereo. I pulled the amp/sub, and running on just the speakers, it's not very good.

Basically, if you have an eclipse deck, you'll need an amp and sub (size won't really matter, it's just the lowend that you need) to really make it sound decent.

I also had a Rockford fosgate deck with motorized face in there, and it sounded MUCH better than the eclipse.
A rockford deck will run you about $150 on eBay. some play MP3, too

I've owned Alpine, Clarion, Pioneer, Sony, Rockford, Blaupunkt, and Eclipse, and of all of those decks, I actually liked the Rockford and Pioneer decks the best.

Pioneers seem to be okay with a good 3 1/2 and 4X10 combo. (I had a Buick Regal 3.8 N/A with Pioneer deck, Pioneer 4X10, and Eclipse 3 1/2. It sounded great!)