You can type here any text you want

ECM interchange

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

blacknight80

Are all ECM from comp controlled carb cars the same with the exception of the prom chip?

I'm not getting any where with the code 42 so I guess it's the beginning of the remove and replace procedures. Unfortunately I'm in Canada and we didn't begin equipping ccc until the mid 80s with the exception of the turbo cars so it gets pretty tough to find an ECM. If a N/A mid size ECM will talk to my 82 SC I won't have a problem finding one.

Thanks

Last edited:
There are different carb ECMs out there. Look for the Service Number on the paper label on top of the ECM. As long as that matches and you use your PROM, no difference to the one that is in your car now (except it might work better, with no code 42).

RemoveBeforeFlight

Awesome thanks. Looks like I may have better luck funding one in the great white north. Camaros and birds used these in 82. I have a 83 Parisienne and it doesn't have a ccc so I think most mid and full size cars up here weren't equipped with ECM

Last edited:
From my fading memory, (and this is for a 1981 base model). The ECM off of an N/A is different from the Turbo cars. Turbo Cars: (1224810) N/A: (1224770). Cardone used to make re manufactured ECM's for our cars. Cardone's stock number for your car is 77-5500, (turbo) You'll be hard pressed to find the OEM PROM for any of these cars anymore let alone a turbo car. As written earlier, you can use your old one if you still have it. Good luck!

PS I found this on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Cardone-77-55...rId=004&n=15684181&s=automotive&vehicleType=5

Last edited:
Did you see the link I posted underneath my reply? $79.64 at Amazon for #77-5500, (same one as 1225500 but from Cardone). I've bought a couple of them in the past and never had a problem with them. (I still have them).

Sorry should have looked a little closer. I will see if I can sort this out for a little while longer before I give into the new ECM

You must be looking at the Standard reman, which for some reason is all they list for the '82 turbo. That has a huge core charge, more than the price of the reman itself. But the 1225500 is the same ECM used with the 'VIN A' (NA) motor. If you look under the 'VIN A' motor instead (non-turbo 231, just above the turbo), you'll find an AC Delco reman for little more than half the price, which should work fine. Notice that the same Standard reman is listed there as well.

EDIT: Or just buy the Cardone, as b4black suggested. Even cheaper, but generally reliable.

EDIT: But just to be thorough, AC Delco does list the same reman (88999101) on their own website (www.acdelco.com) for the '82 turbo application.

Last edited:
I just read your thread on your Code 42. Those deals will drive you nuts. I've never had that particular problem and I can't make sense of your readings either. But there will be a solution....

Last edited:
If you want PM me I could problaby hook you up with 1 for about $60.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Thanks for the ideas guys!!! I have been constantly adding readings to that post in hopes someone has an idea haha. Where are you located 1987GNASTROROOF? I'm in Alberta so sometimes shipping from the states ends up being pricey.

Thanks

Thanks for the ideas guys!!! I have been constantly adding readings to that post in hopes someone has an idea haha. Where are you located 1987GNASTROROOF? I'm in Alberta so sometimes shipping from the states ends up being pricey.

Thanks
O yes didn't know you were in Canada. Problaby about $30.00 more.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I found an enormous bird and camaro wrecker near Edmonton and some of the 82-83 f-bodies use the 1225500 ECM so I'm gonna see if they might have one out of a hard top car.

Thanks though

Back