You can type here any text you want

EFI technology??

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
That system is awesome, very powerful. This is the system Gale Banks uses on his 1200 HP twin tubo street motors.

We spent about 2 hours talking with them at PRI a couple of weeks ago. That base box is about $1200, plus a harness and sensors and lifetime firrmware/software updates. LOTS of features built in even at that level. Talked to a couple of road racers running the system and both were very positive on it as well. THE guy to talk to on this system is Neel Vasavada. His number is 310-793-2505. He bent over backwards answering all of our questions about the system.

The other system that impressed me was by FJO. Very nice as well and very high quality construction.

It looks like real sweet stuff, better than the tec3 for sure. I would assume its more than $1200? THink it is compatible with the buick v6 dis, stock crankand cam sensors ?

I went through the CD they gave me on the system(s). The basic EFI box, just the controller box is $1275 for a 4 injector driver box. The 8 injector driver box is $3495. Here is the specs on the system with 8 injector drivers. The feature that blew me away was you program the A/F table thrn the computer calculates the VE's, automatically while you drive.

RACE 1.9 ECU Technical Specifications
SOFTWARE 
l 3D fuel and spark maps
l All maps with adjustable breakpoints
l Programmable sensor calibrations
l Closed loop lambda control
l Unique self-mapping software
l Fuel and spark trims for each cylinder
l 3D injection phase map
l Sensor correction tables
l Closed loop boost control (5 maps)
l Shift - without - lift function
l Pit lane speed limiter
l ECU loadable with 2 maps
l Adjustable internal logger sample rates

OUTPUTS
l 8 injector drives - peak and hold
l 4 internal 8A coil drivers
l Wastegate controls
l Lambda heater control
l
l Data link to data logger
l Expansion box interface 

DIGITAL INPUTS
l Engine Speed
l Cam position
l Front wheel speed
l Rear wheel speed

ANALOG INPUTS
Throttle, Battery, Airbox, ExBP, Air Temp, Water
Temp, Oil Temp, GBox Temp, Fuel Press, Oil
Press, Lambda, NGK, Beacon, Lateral G, ECU
Temp, Vref, Mixture SW, Boost SW, Gear
Position, Accel DIAGNOSTICS
l Error codes for all sensors and pickups
l Programmable error thresholds
l Sensor Min and Max values recorded
l Non-volatile diagnostic memory
OPTIONS
l Up to 2MByte internal data-logger
l Dual lambda sensor option
OPERATIONAL
Enclosure : Billet 6061 Aluminum
Construction : CMOS surface mount
design
Environmental : EMI O ring sealed
Connector : Mil-Spec 41 pin filter type
Dimensions : 5.0" x 4.5" x 1.6"
Weight : 1.5 lbs
Power Supply : 8 to 20 volts transient
protected
Power Consumption : 8 watts @ 14 volts
Operating Temp : -40 to + 85 deg C
continuous
EMI Protection : Exceeds 100 V/m >
1GHz
Digital Tach output

Doing a search i found a fjo dealer very close to me, It looks to be about $4000 cdn for a system, but it doesn't show that it is sequential control. Supposed to be self learning also. It has alot of features including global postioning system, not sure why you would need that, but its there

GPS, why for telemetry inte3rface of course. You do want to know what your speed was on turn 8 and also what your shock compression was off the corkscrew coming into the front straight, don't you? :D

With the FJO I think you also have to add in the wide band controller on top of the base box, so it is a bit over $3000 US I think. That convert to $4000 CN? STILL not bad for a high end system that I think is similar in quality to MOTEC.

For a twin turbo motor we are planning to do both those systems look real attractive. I really hope the new FAST system is along the same lines as these only with a few extra surprises. :D :D

Well, I am minutes from the local distributor, so i am going to give them a visit. The WB gauge package is neat, I am suprised Canadians actually built this system, must be some smart eskimos around. So many systems on the market now, but if i have to use extra trigger wheels to make it complicated, I wont like that. Here's the link to the FJO stuff.

http://www.fjoracing.com/

Heres more on the wideband

http://www.alamomotorsports.com/fjo_wideband.html

You guys should really just look into using Autronic or Motec.

Their the top dogs of standalones.
EFI Tech is good as well but very expensive.

Motec $$$$$$$$$$$$$
Autronics, similar in pricing, nice system, here are the specs

Autronic SM2 $1,999.00

Autronic SM2 is sequential 3D ECU.

This model is aimed at the serious racer. With traction control, it is ideal for circuit racing.

The Autronic SM2 includes harness, air and water temp sensor, internal map sensor, fuel pump relay, PC data cable, calibration and data logging software, 100 page manual.

The internal map sensor is available in 1bar absolute or 4.4 bar absolute (50 psi).
Available with high current (low impedance) or low current (high impedance) injector drivers.

Harness has a connector which plugs into the Ecu, and has a socket for fuel pump relay.

The data cable to connect to a IBM compatible PC or Laptop plugs into a port on the ECU case.
Case Dimensions:

L = 180mm (7")
W = 200mm (8")
H = 40mm (1 1/2")

Features:
Sequential operation for 2 to 8 cylinder engines.
3D fuel and Ignition maps.
User defined up to 32 RPM and 16 Load sites = 512 sites.
Eight auxiliary outputs other than fuel pump control.
Auxiliary outputs can be defined for boost control, nitrous oxide, staged injectors, camshaft timing, AC, fan control, idle valve etc...
Traction Control.
Flat Shift. (ver 1.92 & 1.93)
Launch Control. (ver 1.93)
Anti-Lag.
Data Logging.
Available with high current drivers if required.
AutoTune option available.
Compatible with Motec Dash.

Specifications Overview.

The Autronic SM2 Sequential Engine Management System are versatile engine management controls for all engine performance upgrades. Their sophisticated features allow these products to provide performance that rivals even the most expensive European systems costing 3 to 10 times more.

Included are features previously found in Formula 1 level applications, yet this system has the flexibility to be used by the every day engine tuner for almost any high performance upgrade.

A user friendly "IBM" compatible laptop program allows the user to select the degree of sophistication required for each application. This program, in combination with intelligence within the management system, allows the user to select the finest calibration detail required to match the application, in absolute minimum of time.

This program provides the means of interrogating the engine management system enabling speedy diagnosis and calibration.

Usage

These systems can cater for the requirements of virtually any spark ignition engine, including the following.
i. High output supercharged or turbocharged engines, with either multi point and/or center point injection.
ii. Rotary (Wankel) and two stroke engines.
ii. Engines having uneven firing sequences such as 2 and 4 cylinder "V" configuration motor cycle engines and V6 motor vehicle engines.
IMPORTANT:- Please note that this product is intended for high performance motor sport applications and compliance with statutory regulations when used on public roads cannot be guaranteed.

Features
1. a. Eight injector drivers for full sequential operation on engines up to eight cylinders. May be set for 'semi-sequential' operation on engines having more than 8 cylinders. e.g:- 12 cylinder engine using 6 groups of 2 two cylinders.
b. All injector types catered for (0.9 ohm to 16 ohm coil resistance). Specify unit fitted with optional high current injector drivers for 0.9 ohm or twin injector applications.

2. User choice of manifold absolute pressure or throttle position as engine load input. Internal absolute
pressure sensor for simplified installation 0 to 200 kpa (0 to 29.4 PSI) and 0 to 300 kpa (0 to 44.1 PSI) available from stock. 0 to 450 kpa (0 to 66.1 PSI) available on request.

3. Single coil distributor, twin coil distributor or muilticoil distributor-less ignition configurations are possible on most engines.

4. Closed loop (feedback) boost pressure control for turbocharged engines with multiple calibration curves selectable by switch input or road speed (eg:- lower boost curve for use in low gear).

5. Closed loop (feedback) idle speed control.

6. Exhaust oxygen sensor input for sensing air/fuel ratio. Connect either a Bosch narrow band O2 sensor or for more demanding applications a Bosch wide band O2 sensor and Autronic Analyzer. The low cost narrow band sensor requires no interface adapters or expensive air/fuel ratio meters, and offers moderate accuracy and tolerance to leaded fuels. This function can be used to monitor air/fuel ratio during engine tuning or can be used for feedback control of air/fuel ratio for applications requiring exhaust catalytic conversion (feature available on request).

7. Diagnostic/Error indicator of sensor or ECU fault conditions with memory for detection of intermittent fault conditions.

8. Measurement of end correction for exhaust back pressure (applicable to turbocharged engines).

9. Control of engine cooling fans and coordination with air conditioner operation.

10. Programmable on/off output for solenoid or relay driving that operates according to engine speed and load (eg:- can be used for gear shift control or light, over rev indicator, inlet camshaft timing selection or control of a supplementary electric fuel pump that augments mechanical fuel pump delivery at low engine rpm only).

11. Precise spark advance control strategy for both static and dynamic operating conditions.

12. Unique calibration strategy allows accurate control of fuel delivery under both acceleration and deceleration.

13. User selectable spark and fuel delivery strategy for abnormal engine operation conditions to minimize possibility of engine damage whilst still maintaining engine operation.. (eg:- over heated or over boosted).

14. Comprehensive limp-home functions with user selectable default settings that ensure engine operation can continue after sensor failure has occurred.

15. User defined proportional output function that can be used for additional functions as outlined in 10 above or for a more sophisticated control function such as servo control of auxiliary butterfly for turbocharged applications requiring precise throttle control and minimum turbo lag.

16. Full compensation of engine control parameters for engine operation at any altitude (fuel delivery, ignition timing and boost pressure).

17. Adaptive learning (with memory) to minimize the number of user setups required and to provide optimal control of air/fuel ratio, boost pressure and idle stability.

18. Rev limiter with soft characteristic that uses a combination of fuel delivery and spark control.

19. Fuel pump safety shutoff. Pump stops 3 to 4 seconds after the engine stops.

20. Bi-directional input/output line for simultaneous connection of remote adjusting unit.

21. Standard unit is ultra light weight/compact yet has sufficient drive capacity for high power continuous duty applications. (one unit OK for all applications from motor cycle to large capacity twin turbo engines).

22. User configurable data logging of up to 17 channels with the selected channels being sampled as fast as 50 times a second. With 128k bytes of non volatile memory.

23. Optional interface unit to allow sequential operation without the need for separate crank/camshaft sensors or special multi-sensor distributor.

24. Fuel used pulse output to electronic or electromechanical counter with resolution of 0.1 liter (or use with trip computer).

25. Remote monitoring of all functions using telemetry adapter, ECU can perform simultaneous logging and telemetry.

26. Water injection/intercooler cooling for intake charge temperature control in turbo/super charged applications.

Interface Requirements

INPUTS
Sensors 1. Ignition input Hall effect, (Also available for direct connection to magnetic reluctor type pickups).
2. No. 1 cylinder reference. (Also available for direct connection to magnetic reluctor type pickups).
3. Road speed input. Hall effect (Also available for direct connection to magnetic reluctor typepickups).
4. Turbo speed input. Magnetic Reluctor (must use optional interface adapter).
5. Barometric pressure. (Internal to ECU).
6. Manifold pressure. (Internal to ECU).
7. Throttle position.
8. Intake air temperature.
9. Engine coolant temperature.
10. Exhaust back pressure (optional).
11. Exhaust oxygen. (or optional Wide Range Air/Fuel Ratio Sensor).

Auxiliary 1. Air conditioner request.
2. Boost curve select.

Adjustments Idle mixture trim. (Internal to ECU and screwdriver adjustable from outside).

OUTPUTS
Main 1. 8 off injector driver. (Optional 2 injectors per driver).
2. Ignition output.
Open collector output to any of the following:
1. Single coil high energy ignitions: Bosch 7 pin, Mitsubishi 3 pin.
2. Autronic Capacitor Discharge Ignition.
3. MSD 6A etc..
(4 outputs are available allowing multi coil distrubtor-less ignition for applications on engines up to 8 cylinders).

Auxiliary 1. Fuel pump/injector fuel shut off safety relay.
2. Air conditioner clutch relay.
3. Engine/Air conditioner cooling fan relay.
4. Engine cooling fan relay.
5. Idle speed actuator. (Variable duty cycle single pole type, eg:- Bosch).
6. Turbocharger wastegate control valve. (SEM, most OEM types or Autronic low or high capacity).
7. Turbocharger auxiliary butterfly control motor.
8. Spare duty cycle output with user define characteristic.
9. Fuel used pulse output. (for trip computer function).

SERIAL I/O
1. Communications with "IBM" compatible computer for calibration, fault diagnosis.

Specifications

Microcomputer Intel 16 bit running @ 16Mhz
Supply Voltage Normal operation
Safe limits 6.2V to 23V DC continuous
+/- 24V (5 min)
+/- 80V alternator load dump (0.5 sec).
+/- 1000V inductive spike (10 usec)
Current Drain @ Engine idle
@ Max Engine Load < 1 Amp.
< 16 Amp (less depending on injector type and number.
Operating Temperature Range
Min
Max - 40 deg C.
+ 85 deg C.
Engine Cylinder Number Settings Number of cylinders 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 10, 12, 14 and 16
Engine RPM Range 0 to 30,000 RPM
0 to 16,000 RPM
0 to 15,000 RPM Engines up to 4 cylinders
Engines up to 5 to 8 cylinders.
Engines 10 to 16 cylinders.
Injection Duration Timing Min
Max
Accuracy
Setting resolution 0.7 msec.
30 msec.
+/- < (10 usec + 1%)
0.1% approx.
Injection Timing Range
Accuracy
Setting resolution 0 to 720 deg (crank angle).
+/- < (1.4 deg + 0.3 msec).
2.8 deg.
Ignition Timing Advance range
Accuracy
Setting resolution 0 to 45 deg (crank angle).
+/- 0.2 deg (crank angle).
0.5 deg (crank angle).
Fuel Delivery and Ignition Mapping No. Load sites
No. RPM sites 16 (max). Both Load and RPM sites
32 (max). are freely selectable.
Size L * W * H 190 * 190 * 38 mm
235 * 190 * 38 mm (overall, including mounts & connector)
Weight 1.35 kg
Connectors 52 way 'AMP' socket using 3 separate plugs 10 way high current plug.
18 way low current plug.
24 way low current plug.
Miniature mic plug (3.5 mm stereo) 3 way for communications with laptop computer.

ITs nice, but now i want to use the NTK sensor on this setup and i think its a problem, i'll have to get a controller for it, and not sure how compatible thats going to be.

i use the autronic wideband model B with ntk sensor.
this allows for autotune and was designed to be used together with autronic ecu's.

If you want to use another wideband it needs to have a 0~1 volt linear output to be used with the autronic ecu.

Ok thats good to know, I am just playing with the software now, kinda sweet you can run 2 cooling fans, with separate controls, and build your own dashes. I still have no idea how the traction control works, and can't find a pick of the sensors.

Traction controls works with either fuel or ignition cut to reduce engine power to whatever slippage you want. If you want 5%, 10%, etc.

It can be tuned in every gear. So you can have 5% in 1st, 3% in 2nd, etc, etc..

Sensors can be factory a.b.s sensors or you'll have to make your own. You'll need two sensors, one on a driven wheel, and the other on a non-driven wheel.

yeah having 2 fans is cool... LOL.
you can also trigger them to turn on/off with speed.

The software is very user friendly. Did you notice you could customise every map axis with values that you choose?

The features are also endless. You could use a Motec ADL dash if you want. There's also a telemetry option for circuit racers.

There CDI ignition box is amazing!!

P.S. if you want description's of what the current screen does in the software just hit the F1 key for help.

OK here's the scoup the FJO system you must use there trigger wheel pick up, and its not 100% sequential, so its out. The autronic i can get for about 2500 cdn, but the gas analyzer B type just by itself is $3000. THink i could use the controller BNE customs sells? for a few hundred?

autoronic is out. Can't do lock up without losing a/c request, no iac compatibilty, no wide band for wot., Must use msd box. Muat use there $2000 wideband control box

Looks like the efi system is going to be the only system thats going to work, just need some info on the crank sensor phase angles, and cam sensor position, and angles also? Anyone have this info handy? Heres a good link on more infor on the efi stuff, its pricey, but those packages include everything, so it should be alot less. (i hope anyway)

http://www.chiefengines.com/efi.htm

Back