Electrical Gurus

RSTTYPE85

RSTTYPE87 NOW
I ordered the dual fan set up from Ramchargers for my 85. Right now I've got an 87 stock fan wired with the ignition and is always on high, since I still have the 85 ecm. Is there another way of wiring that you would recommend and be more beneficial to me?

Thanks
RS

You could always use a thermostatic switch to turn the fans at a certain temp. (better all the way around, fan will ony run when needed) You can get them from summit & egs or a few other places I'm sure. There are also some electronic temp gauges that you can set a turn on point with.

Well, I've checked out several sites for the thermostatic swithches and temp. sensors and man their are big differences $$. What's the difference (other than name brands) and which ones are proven by the use of you all?

Thanks
RS

biggest difference would be accuracy and reliability. I've used some in the past but can't remember which ones. Why aren't you just letting the ECM take care of it?

Not sure on that but SOMETHING has to in an 85. The fans shouldn't run constantly.

Dont't forget the 85s didn't have the electric fan set up (Good old fashioned belt & the clutch fan).;)

The 85 ECM didn't have fan control, but the 86 did. You can easily change the ECM, all you really need to do is add an airtemp sensor. Then you can add the relay kit and use it to control the coolant fan. Popular modification and easy to do as well.
-John Spina
http://www.casperselectronics.com