Electrical Question

RTR

RTR
I have an 87 gn that has been sitting for about 2 years. The problem is intermitant when I turn the key on the fuel guage will peg out and bounce back and forth but sometimes it reads normal. My fuel pump is only putting out 20 pounds at idle so I am going to replace any suggestions on which pump to get and where.My plans are to restore this car for my daughter who will be 16 in August. Any help you guys can give is greatly appreciated.

Thank you for the link hopefuly a new fuel pump and filter will do the trick.

if it's been sitting for 2 years and never started, you may also have some varnish from the gas inside the regulator and injectors. I would do a fuel system cleaning as well to make sure everything isnt gummed up. Also betting the seals inside the fuel pump are probably dried out leaking a bit which would expain the lack of pressure.

??

one thing you might check out first is the wire connections at the harness plugs.Corossion or loose conn. will cause the gauge problem and also if the pump is'nt getting full voltage it won't perform good.Worth a try before you pull the pump....new filter too. Good luck.Wish I had a GN for first car :D