You can type here any text you want

Embarassing wiring question

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

55Belair

I recently installed the speed pro system in my car. I also determined that my alternator was toast. so I replaced it. Nothing more than bolt on and plug in. the alternator is working fine. The problem is that the car will start fine and run fine but when I turn the key off, the car keeps running. The only change I have made to the car is the addition of the fuel injection. all of the lugs on the ignition switch are hot when the car is running and I turn off the key. It is like the alternator is back feeding the ignition somehow. It worked fine when I had the carb on it. I have to disconnect the ignition feed wire to kill the engine.

just wanted to know if anyone else ran into this problem before I start hunting an electrical gremlin.

Engine Run On

What you have described is fairly common when using a master battery disconnect per NHRA/IHRA rules. The easiest fix is to buy a kit from Painless Wiring, for about $40, from Jeg's or Summit.

What do they call the kit? Does it replace the Master disconnect set up I am currently using?

Charging System Shutdown Relay

The name of the kit is above, and it is made by Painless Wiring. Jeg's part number is 764-50103; it retails for $37.99. It does not replace your master disconnect switch, rather it works with the switch to keep the alternator from back-feeding power for the ignition. I had the same problem you describe on my car and the kit fixed it. Good luck!

Back