You can type here any text you want

Emergency Request - Am I Screwed? (Head Problem)

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

mgmshar

I'm in the middle of doing a head gasket job on my GN. The left head is already installed and torqued. As I was placing the right head on the engine, is slipped out of my hands and fell onto the block. One of the dowels put a little dent in the fire face of the head. Of course, the dent is positioned EXACTLY where the fire ring (the still metal part) of the Fel-Pro 9441 is. In other words, when I lay the gasket on the head, the dent is located right underneath the metal fire ring on number 6 cylinder.

The dent is deep enough that I can easily feel it with my finger. I've attached some photos below.

Opinions? Am I totally screwed here? I got that sinking feeling that I just screwed up pretty bad...

Trying to get this done this week, so I would appreciate quick replies. If anybody would rather PM me to spare their own embarassment (maybe somebody else did the same thing?), feel free.

Thanks a bunch,

Attachments

• IMAG0403.jpg
    IMAG0403.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 344
  • IMAG0404.jpg
    IMAG0404.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 321
  • IMAG0405.jpg
    IMAG0405.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 321
  • IMAG0406.jpg
    IMAG0406.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 322
  • IMAG0407.jpg
    IMAG0407.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 324
Bring it to the machine shop and see what they say. I would not put that on like that. They might be able to weld it or something.

Nothing a quick pass on a surfacer wont fix. If it is directly under the fire ring, then good catch and have it milled out.

Run a stone or file over it to make sure its flush. I dont think your too bad off. It looks like its just inside the sealing ring. You can take it and have a pro look at it if you want to feel safe. If you could measure how deep it is, that would tell me more. A dot of weld and a file would fix it for sure. No need to have it machined, I highly doubt its more then .003-.004 deep at best.

:biggrin:

For those of us who haven't had to do this yet...

If I decide to have the heads cut (they are about .002" warped, anyway), how much material can I have removed before things like intake manifolds won't fit any more? I'm thinking I can have .003" or so shaved off the heads to cure the warp and remove my big mistake...

Thanks,

PS: Anybody know a good machine shop in the Chicago or NWI area???

You can usually take. 010" off with out too much intake issues. Typical surface job will cut. 005" off. If the dent is directly below the fire ring I would have it surfaced. The factory machine job is pretty poor to begin with. Make sure your machinist has modern surfacer and can hold a VERY fine surface finish. The smoother the better.

Back