Emissions test failed again!

TurboD1987

Well I retested my 87T and it failed again here are the numbers from an ASM25/25 tester
HCppm limit 120 first test 110 this test 126
CO% limit .67 first test 1.34 this test .51
NOppm limit 1316 first test 1057 this test 563
As you can see I failed on different limits each time.
Here is what I did
1 fresh oil
2 smog chip for blue tops
3 fresh O2 sensor
4 cleaned injectors
5 set IAC to 20 and TPS to 44
6 adjusted fuel press. so Blocklearn and integrator were 128 or close
6 car was 190 or so temp
The only thing left I can think will pass me now is a converter ( hollow on the car right now). Any ideas out there? Thanks
Dave

87 octane will help. burns hotter/faster. Turn your boost down though!;) I've passed with no cat before. It can be done.

It can be done without a cat - I've done it. By why bother?:rolleyes:

Get a cat - put it on. Pass. You will based on those numbers and a cat. Take it off if you must and store it. It'll last forever...

_BOB

Not to sound sarcastic or anything, but why even freshen up your O2 sensor if your cat is hollowed? There were many European FI systems that didn't use an O2 sensor before the GN even existed. One of the main purposes of the O2 sensor is to maintain fuel trim and make the catalytic converter work efficiently. A good working cat will make your car pass every time as long as your engine is running fine. Heres my numbers from last month: 5015 test: 65ppm hc, limit 110 / 0.17 CO, limit 0.71 / 582ppm NOx, limit 1025 / 2525: 43ppm hc, limit 85 / 0.09 CO, limit 0.59 / 286ppm NOx, limit 885. Also, if your smog test includes a 5015 test, the egr is not a factor (b/c the car is not run at a steady state in 3rd gear, with torque converter locked), so the test is relying on the effientcy of the engine to pull the NOx numbers within range.
Additionally, Canadas test is very simular to CA, and as the smog technicians in your area learn how to deal with NOx, the cutpoints will get tighter

Get a gas can and put 1 gallon of gas in it and get about 6 bottles of dry gas and put them in your trunk. Do this when your gas tank is very very low. Run the snot out of the car on the way to the test. Do not let it idle when your waiting at lights keep reving it above 3500. A block before you get to the test pull over and put the 6 bottles of dry gas in the tank. Keep your rpms high until you are actually having the test done. Go to the test site and pass!!!!!!!!! The gallon of gas in the trunk is in case you run out of gas. If you run out before the test only add enough to get through the test. Once you pass the test pull over and put the rest of the gallon in and go fill up at a station. :D

Of you guys that are feeding this guy about a pipe dream on how to pass without a cat on, how many are dealing with a smog test on a dyno? I know NJ is and that guy recommends put the cat on, CO is using two speed idle on 1981 and newer, my chevy could pass two speed idle with all the stuff (listed on my post), I don't know about TN or FL. Oh yea MD is using an I/M 240 dyno and he recommends installing the cat.

Isopropyl

:p Put on a cat convertor and then run gas down to 1/8 of a tank. Throw in 1 gallon of isopropyl and drive around the block. Guarenteed to pass.....

I got my 86 GN through 3 times in FL and it had a big cam!

That car is so close to passing, just put the cat on and be done with it. If you want to run the isopropyl to make you feel better go ahead.

OK, it looks like I'll be buying a new cat. I thought I'd try other ideas first because 2 years ago I passed without the cat and didn't really want to have to buy one. I need the short one - so I'll be contacting Terry Houston, unless someone else knows of an alternate place to buy one.

I passed on the dyno here in florida. Bought a bottle of G2P, lowered fuel pressure, got the car hot and ran the AC. It passed better than my bone stock daily driver.

Originally posted by TurboD1987
OK, it looks like I'll be buying a new cat. I thought I'd try other ideas first because 2 years ago I passed without the cat and didn't really want to have to buy one.
Well sure, that'll be big bucks just to get through emissions. Try the "alterative fuel" routes given above before spending the >$200 on a new cat...unless of course Ontario has a 3 strikes and your out clause.:eek: I would highly suggest removing the EGR valve assembly and cleaning up the valve with a wire brush and maybe oiling the mechanism to ensure it is working properly. The EGR plays a big part in emissions.

Damn, you were close.

Update on my E test

Well I went for my third test, before going I ran the g2p through the car per instructions, I took off and cleaned and lubed the egr valve, turned fuel press. down to 37-38psi with line off and I ran 87 octane fuel in the car for the test. And guess what it failed even worse. My readings were HCppm-154 , CO%-0.58 , NOppm-477. So I finally threw up my hands and gave up. I went out and bought a Walker 2 1/2" cat. The new test read like this HCppm-24 , CO%-0.00 , NOppm-58 What a difference with the cat on! You can see the results from my first 2 test in the top post. Hope this is of some interest to you.
Dave

The EGR plays a big part in emissions.

Actually for the 2525 portion of the dyno test, the EGR does very little, because it is opened very little and the dyno load is so light (only 25% of vehicle test weight). IMHO, the cat took most of the emissions out. At that speed, the EGR may clear 300-500ppm max, but a new cat can take out as much as 1200 ppm, provided there are no exhaust leaks.

But I'm glad you passed.

Amazing how many posts come out of the wood work on this subject!!

"Well I passed without a cat! you should be able to."

What everybody conveniently seem to forget is, that we're all in different parts of the country, different states, different smog limits, you name it.

Hell, even in CA, you can move from county to county and see different limits imposed! Move 30 miles out of San Diego (some of the hardest limits in the state to pass), and not even be required to test :eek:

It's that way all over the country.

It's obvious to the most casual observer that as high as high HC are, the car needs a cat.

Doesn't matter what "Joe Blow" thinks about whether a cat is needed to pass emissions "where I'm at"

Second guessing and speculation lead to nothing but confusion when someone's trying to get a straight answer.

TurboD1987, save yourself some grief and get a cat on it, if only for the test.