Engine back firing at 4000rpm

Jeff Strube

I have a 87 GN that is backfiring at 4000rpm. Changed coil and module wires spark control meter computer and chip doesnt go away. Not shure what to look at. Mybe grounds on the block.

Thanks Jeff

I bet you its your mass air. Tap it with your knuckle when the car is running. If its bad it will stumble at bit when idling.

Jeff, How many miles on the motor? Are you still using the original timing chain? Are you still using the original valve springs? Brian

Hi,
I had a lot of misfire problems that I had initially attributed to ignition which ended up being fuel starvation. It was obvious when I took a ride with scanner connected, O2 voltage was in the cellar at .1 v while I was on it. A Walbro 340 fixed all that. If you don't use a scanner, please start. While this may not be your trouble, you need additional information, which a scanner will very often provide. Good luck, keep up the posts!

My backfire turned out to be fuel related also. The top hose clamp had come loose on my XP pump and only acted up under boost. I had replaced everything electrical and regounded everything trouble shooting the backfire. Car runs great now.