You can type here any text you want

engine block and head questions

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

1980turbomonte

im new to the website
i own a white 1980 monte carlo

the original motor and trans are in the car
so my question but i bought
a short block and some ported and polished heads for it and want to put them in my car. just wanted to make sure the parts will work together. since i think the block is an 84 and the heads are from an 80 i think. just making sure it it all bolt together and work.

block number is 25520040
Heads number is 25506293
and the cam i want to use is a comp cam part number 69-248-4
and im goin to use my old harmonic balancer and flexplate
will this work?

thanks guys any information will help

It's another site with good info on it. If you decide to join for some reason your acceptance usually ends up in the spam filter. Good resource.

Do yourself a favor and just use a stock 87 gn cam. It will be plenty. Cams aren't so much important as the heads on these motors.

isnt a stock 87 cam and hyd roller cam and not a flat tappet cam

heads are ported and polished with a three angle valve job

i see i didnt know that.
i guess i will have to see if i can find a stock cam that isnt rounded out
im pushing 12-13 pounds of boost on my current set up with a cam that has 110 lsa and that just isnt enough lsa tryn to find somehting in the 112-114 range right?

Sounds like you got that sucker modded up nicely. But I think a stock 87 GN cam will still be your best bet. The car isn't going to run fast enough to justify something bigger. I think the stock 87 cam is good for low 11s if I remember right.

not really its just some simple things. it was just tuned right i guess. it was at connellys performance plus years ago and they worked on it and rebuilt the carb and redid soem vaccumm hoses and it only made 7 pounds. still ran rough.
couldnt figure out what was wrong.

stoped by a friends shop and the owners dad saw it and took alot of interest in it and after 15 min he was convenced it was the carb and 4 hours later he rebuilt the carb and put it back on took it for a drive and 12 pounds of boost. haha but the current set up is a cam stock exhaust manifold that are ported and k&n filter turbo rebuilt. and 3in exhuast. 2800 stall it stall up to 7 pounds of boost then when you try to give it hell and take off it drops down and boost back up for some reason. but runs great on the top end... it always suprises everyone on the high way. esp those new mustang owners guess they cant read it says turbo on the hood. but thats it

It sounds like you're loosing some timing. If you don't have some sort of alky on it that may be why you're not going to well. If you want a slightly bigger cam look at LilSpann's post. I found him one that's a little bigger than stock and Aj has used it as well. I was even thinking about it myself but I have an eldebrock I'm probibly going to use. You might even try recalibrating the carb. Not a hard thing to do if you understand them or have a good book.

where can i find this post at and is this cam a flat tappet cam?
sorry im new to this site

thanks for all the help guys

Back