You can type here any text you want

Engine build combo

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

The_Six

Hey guys I may be rebuilding my engine should no soon as I get it out of the car. Im now planing my new build. If I dont have to Im not going to get crazy just use stock rods ,pistons and crank with new barings ,and rings. But while Im in there thought I would go all ARP and have my heads ported .
I'm trying to decide on my cam ,turbo and converter. I was thinking a 2800 or 3000 PTC and a TE44 or TA49 with a 206/206 or a 206/210 roller cam, but I was offered a good deal on a 215/220. Would the 215/ 220 be to much for the converter and turbo I was going to go with ?
Thanks

With that cam, you are going to be right on the edge of compatibility with that turbo/converter....and I would probably ask Dusty what stall speed to go with that turbo...a 3k maybe a little bit high...

That 215 220 is going to be too much for your power. And the te44 or 49 will be too small for ported heads.

My opinion, since you are already going to buy a convertor, go with a turbo that spools just as fast, and makes more power.

There is no down side to having a larger turbo, its like having extra power on hand with a twist of the boost controller.

Me, personally, ported heads, stock shortblock...
206 up to 212, the higher lobe seperation the more vacuum your motor will have, a must if you have vac brakes.

Port the heads, and at least a 6152 turbo and a 3000 convertor, lockup or non lockup, depends on your driving.
There is also a 6262 with the billet wheel :)

BW

I don’t mind swapping a bigger turbo in down the road when the cash comes available but I don’t want to have to do the convertor and heads later if I can avoid it. I originally was going to go with a smaller cam but if I can make this cam work it would save me that much cash that I could put towards a bigger turbo or other parts I may need. I have a stocker on there now so I was going to look for one some one was upgrading from to hold me over until I had the cash to go bigger.
What if I went with a TE-60 and a 2800 convertor? I just don’t want to use this cam if it’s going to be too much for my needs I don’t ever plan on going much more then mid to high 11s. I plan to keep my car street able I want to be able to drive it cross country if I want to.

Unless there is something wrong with the stock cam, I'd leave it alone. The stock cam has been into the 10's. However if going roller, like Bryan said 206 or 212 at the biggest. A good flowing set of heads will help. A matched turbo/converter along with a good tune will definitely achieve your desired results.

Ported heads, 206 roller if the stock one is beat, TE 60, Pat's 2800-3000 12" l/u, alky, supporting mods, good tires and tune will get you where you want to be easy.

Not sure yet what all I’m going to need the engine has a slight tick and a wining sound coming from it. It was heated up to over 300 deg so at the least the head gaskets are gone and I’m not sure if the heads will be good.
I know you guys want to know I had left it idling in the yard and got side tracked and when I cam back out side it had over heated the fan had quit working and I didn’t know it. My scanmaster said it was at around 325 so it was hot blew the cap off the radiator and the over flow tank never see that happen before.
She has around 130k on the clock so I’m sure its going to need a total rebuild, but wont know how bad it is until I get it out and apart. I would love to be able to just hone the cylinders and polish the crank and add new rings and bearings but I know I’m not that lucky so I’m expecting the worst.

Back