You can type here any text you want

Engine for 1972 Buick convertable GS

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

johnbillis

I need to replace the engine on a 1972 bucik gs convertable. It is a 4 bolt engine. I cannot find the serial number on the engine since I do not know where it is. The vin number is4G67K2H18721 The intake number is 1238647-2The tag near the fan says 3504BC Does anyone know if this is a high performance engine? Does anyone know what type of engine I should look for? And does anyone know where the best place I can go to get a replacement engine? I would appreciate any help. My Email address is Johnbillis@hotmail.com or you can post a reply here and I will look for it. Thank you in advance..

If you are anywhere near Buffalo there is a running 72 455 Buick motor for sale on Craigslist for a few hundred bucks.

engine info needed

I thought a 350 was a small block? I know this 1972 buick is a 4 bolt but it says it is a 350. I have no idea where the serial number is for the engine. I looked all over it and could not find it. I am trying to get a replacement engine and everyone wants to know if it is a high performance engine and I do not know. I thought someone from here might be able to tell me if it is a high performance engine and where I can purchase a replacement. I left all the numbers I found on my original post from last night. So far no one has been able to help me. If noone can help then I will have to have this engine sent out to be rebuilt.

1965 - 1972 Buick VIN Decoding

Looking here it seems to indicate that the GS does have it's own HP engine,check your vin tag to see what letter you have. I personally would just rebuild the original engine if the numbers match. If you go replacement don't give them your original block(if it is) for a core,your car is worth more with it even if it's not in the car.

to turbobuicksix

Thanks for your reply. It helps. I will probably have the original engine in the car now just rebuilt. I appreciate the help.

When you rebuild it, please ensure that the builder (if not you) knows how to set up tolerances for a Buick engine as they differ from a Chevy. There are books on building Buick engines that can be used as a reference. I know a local new GN owner who had a local Chevy/ Pontiac builder do his engine. I reinforced exactly what I'm saying here to him before the build. He still proceeded with this builder and his motor lasted just a couple of weeks before it lost oil pressure/ catastrophic failure. He sold it dirt cheap and I missed out! :mad: Just thought you should hear this in case you didn't know.

I know this is a dumb question but is your distributor in the front or back.

For a buick it is in the front. I have a 1973 Buick 455 turbo 400 for sale if you need one.

To my knowledge, buick never made a 4 bolt 350. ( 4 bolts per main cap) I know that they did make a couple of experimental 4 bolt main 455's and one of the members on v8buick.com is in possession of said block.

A 72 would not be considered a high performance block in a sense. 72 was the last hurra before gm started adding smog gear. A 72 GS motor would have come with a slightly hotter cam, quadrajet carb but would sill have a 8.5 to 1 CR with all the GS goodies. Engine code should be stamped on drivers side.

If it is indeed the original block, whatever you do, don't get rid of it.

Steve

Here's where the Buick V6's are stamped. I'm only guessing that the V8's would be the same, but makes sense.

This engine is standing on it's nose, for a visual reference.

Notice the flat pad near the top of the picture, with the faint stamping. Driver's side, bell housing mount surface.

The last 6 digits should match your VIN's last 6 digits

Attachments

• block_id.jpg
    block_id.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 96
The eisiest way to tell is that big and small block buicks have the cid cast into the rear of the block. Look on the area where the bell housing mounts to the block. It should be at the top.

455 has 5 bolt valve covers and the 350 has 6.

455 will have a 455 cast into the top of the bell housing.

As someone else has said, there were only a couple of 4 bolt 455's made, experimental by GM. No 350 4 bolts.

buick small block

The block from my 72 Skylark GS says "350" on the side with an "8" under that. It is a 2 bolt main.

Maybe you could post pics of your engine-that will help ID it.

Back