You can type here any text you want

Engine internal clearences

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

GOT JCE

RIP Ruka Jean
I am looking for info on all the internal clearences for a TTA 3.8 turbo motor. I am having the motor rebuilt(AGAIN) on ole 1001 and would like to get all the info to the engine builder. the heads have been redone, the bottom end was redone,new ESP cam(awesome by the way) everything except the rings. The original builder was told to do the rings but did not do them since the cylinders looked fine. Well now she smokes after about 1-2 minutes after starting. Nothing on startup just after it warms up a little.The turbo was replaced with a known good one and still smoked. No oil in the intercooler or hoses. New PCV and EGR. So now it has to come apart again. This happened about 4 months ago and I gave up on the car until now after dumping $1900 into this thing. I am having another shop who has done turbo buicks before(none lately) do the work. I am in no hurry since winter is coming. I would just like to give this info to the builder for my own piece of mind. If anyone can help I would really appreciate it. Thanks, AJ

.0015-.002 rods and mains. .001 on the oil pump end play. Make sure line bore is true. Make sure cam bearings are the correct ones and clocked properly. Source a new GM front cover if possible. Most aftermarket is junk and requires a lot of cleanup. Make sure cylinders are round and that the machinist uses the proper finish (Which is a lot rougher than most think, including some know it all machinists for moly rings). Follow ring installation directions.

Back