engine noise, and amp problems

87gnblackdemon

Don't Be Redikulas!!
I had no engine noise what so ever when I had my subs, but now with the amp powering just the 4x10's, we have alot of engine noise, but not only when car is on, even with igniton turn forward it's there??? Am I doing something wrong with hooking this amp to a pair of 4x10's, I've never had this much trouble with subs. The amp is grounded, the remote wire was hooked to the power antenea on the back of the radio but when a tape was put in off went amp, so I hooked it to the acc radio power wire and everything works but now we have engine noise, so I put the remote to the radio fuse in fuse box but still noise. When I had my subs I was using four rca cables, now just two, could this be the problem? My friend said it could be that the amp is too strong but no matter how long I turn it down the noise is still there? How the heck can I simply hook the 4x10's to an amp without all these problems??

It sounds like the most comon noise which is usually induced by a ground loop, bad RCA cables, possibly a bad amplifier. An amp that is too strong for a pair of driver will not cause motor noise.

1) Ground everything to one point.
2) Seperate power wires away from signal wires.
3) Make sure equipment is in working order (Defective equipment)

Thanks for the responce. I checked both the amp and radio ground connections and they seem fine, it has to be the rca's and it must of been doing this the whole time but for some reason I couldn't hear it with the subs hooked up. Like I said in my other message I was using four rca cables with the subs that went to the back of the radio one set to the rear speaker inputs and the other to the front speaker inputs, but now with the 4x10's hooked to the amp all I'm using is the rear speaker input rca's but the other set is still routed just not hooked up, It's probably them or both rca's are bad. I don't have any extra rca cables around so I couldn't check that at the time. Car audio is a pain in the a$$, I've been messing with audio system for years, in all my vehicles and friends and there is always something that pops up, really gets me pi$$ed off. I'll mess with it some more and hopefully get it figured out. Thanks.

whatever you do when you go to buy some more RCA's don't let the salesman sell you on expensive cables.....its a TOTAL WASTE OF $$$. Even the "Zero noise" cables from monster aren't any good or better than a $9 set from Radio Shack.

The only "expensive" cable out there that is even somewhat worth the $$ is the Monster XLN-PRO. Its a Unshielded Twisted Pair. I think RF might even sell some UTP also....

RCA CABLES!!! Found the problem or atleast I hope so. I took a pair of rca cables from my entertainment center in my room that was being used to hook my vcr to my tuner, they aren't nearly long enough to permanetly use but I used them just to see, and with them theres no noise what so ever. On my way to get a larger pair.