You can type here any text you want

Engine rebuild need some opinions

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

alliedmike

2 Cyl short NO PROBLEM
Hey guys, i have an 84 gn with a turbomotion v2 intercooler setup. i found out today that i have some serious issues with compression. long story short i was having issues with low vac at idle and not being able to boost much. today in my garage i was boosting and it was having a VERY hard time getting up to boost. FINALLY i got up to 2 lb boost and No lie!! i got quite a bit of oil that squirted out of the dip stick!!:mad: So i put a cylinder leak down tester on the engine and could not keep pressure in the cylinder and as i turned the pressure up 35 psi on the leak tester i heard gurgling from the dip stick tube and once again here comes the oil!! so needless to say i am going to be pulling the engine and doing a rebuild..i need some ideas/opinions and options on what to do. If i am in here allready do i replace pistons/ rods ect??? i do not want to go Crazy..but i do intend on keeping the car for a long time and some more mods will follow in years to come , i just want to be sure that i make this rebuild last. so any ideas on what parts to use would be greatly appriciated thanks for the help guys!!
Mike

It all depends on what kind of power you want to make.

well i am sure 400hp is somewhat easily obtained. so that sounds like a good round number haha i am not looking for anything CRAZY i want some power but i also want to be good for just normal driving. ..just looking for some good combos..i did alot of searching on this site found some combos but i just wanted to hear some feed back seeing as i could not locate any good combo lists for setups like mine 84 engine with v2 intercooler setup

I'd find out where the leak is first (broken pistion?) and see what's left of the engine first. Then budget out what you can do with what you have left. Are you still using the Hot Air Intake Maifold?

Figure out what you have; then decide if you still want to use it to get where you want to be.

Are you still using the Hot Air Intake Maifold? QUOTE]

well i have the turbo motion v2 intake on there now and i plan to keep that on there. I guess my question is.. "if" the pistons are still good..do i use them still? are they good for 400plus hp? i am sure they are but after 120K and such is it probiably just worth getting new pistions while i am there?
i just dont want to do this more than once

Just a guess; you'll need:

bore engine
new pistions/rings
grind crank/new bearings
cam/lifters/timing set
valve job
oil pump

past that;

balance
resize rods
front cover

The list can get pretty long. Open it up and see what your in for.

There's nothing wrong with the HotAir style manifold; expecially when it's been opened up and "fixed." I asked because some folks use the 86-87 style manifold with the 84-85 indexed turbo for an easier intake fix.

Back