Engine Rebuild Questions

kosonen04

JustA6
Hey guys im looking to rebuild my engine and wondering who would be the best place to go tho to get a hole rebuild kit. I wanna cam it do about .30 over I would like J&E Pistions, Im also on a budjet so price matters. Give me some opptions also this will be my first buick engine rebuild so help me out. Thanks guys you all have been very good help on everything else.
Brian

kosonen04 said:
Hey guys im looking to rebuild my engine and wondering who would be the best place to go tho to get a hole rebuild kit. I wanna cam it do about .30 over I would like J&E Pistions, Im also on a budjet so price matters. Give me some opptions also this will be my first buick engine rebuild so help me out. Thanks guys you all have been very good help on everything else.
Brian

Don't forget the valve springs and a double roller. To do it right will cost about $2-2.5k. If you do the work yourself you can probably get away with less than $1200 in parts. My advice is pull the engine and take it to a reputable builder.

Quick down and dirty Parts list:
Pistons
Rings
Cam
Rod Bearings
Main Bearings
Cam Bearings
Timing Chain
Timing Gears
Oil pump
Water pump
Gaskets
Valve Tappets
Freeze plugs]
Belts
Hoses
Fluids

Don't forget to set aside some funds for a failed sensor or two. S**t happens when you take a 20+ year old car apart.

You might want to consider having the block hot tanked and the rotating assy balanced. Also have the heads and block surfaced and a valve job.

I'm sure you and others will think of a hundred "might as wells" while its apart.

So figure out you budget and then double it. :)

fgordon said:
.........So figure out you budget and then double it. :)
Than figure out the estimated down time ............ and double that as well.

Try SRP pistons. They're made by JE for people on a budget. Only bore it as much as you need to. If it cleans up at .010, leave it at that.

What about the compleat engine rebuild kits from Postons? are they any good i was looking into geting the kit with out the pistions because i would like J&E unless you guys have a better pistion, or if any of you have kits or what ever that you can get me a deal on so your making money. Also I would like to know what size cam you all would recemond for me with stock stall but i will be putting a 3200 stall in later. im looking to get into low 11's and what would you say about inj. size. thanks

alright who has a kit so im not buying from 10 different people? also my headers are cracked what would be the cheapest way to fix them? also how hard is it to remove the enging? any pointers for a first timmer? thanks for all your help

Engine Parts

Give me a call I can help you with all your engine parts and advise . I have built a few v6 Buick engines.

Dan
DLS ENGINE DEVELOPMENT
219-956-3653

V6gofast said:
Give me a call I can help you with all your engine parts and advise . I have built a few v6 Buick engines.

Dan
DLS ENGINE DEVELOPMENT
219-956-3653

Just a few! :D