You can type here any text you want

Engine Rebuild

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

axlgn

Hey Fellas,
I'm looking to do an engine rebuild one my stock 87 GN and I don't really want to spend much more than about 4 grand. Let me know what you think about doing as far as heads and throttle body maybe injectors, I just wanna have an idea of what my competition is running. Any feedback would be appreciated.

$4k won't go very far. In my opinion spend it on the long block and add a larger turbo later. They say a stock block, crank and rods are good for 600hp and for $4k you won't have to worry about exceeding that. Assuming you are pulling the motor and putting it back in (labor costs) you should have enough money for a set of iron heads, cam, billet caps, larger injectors and some kind of electronics to support them. Do your research and make sure whoever you get to do your machine work understands turbo buick motors. Depending on what you have done figure about $1k for labor, $1200.00 for heads, and $1500 for injectors, caps, cam, electronics, and a lot of little stuff. Question will be do you use the stock pistons or upgrade? I vote to upgrade but your going to spend more money. Your stock TB and housing are good for a mild build. You should do your turbo and injectors at the same time.

Be prepared to spend alot more than you think you will. Bigger injectors lead to bigger turbo and then better intercoolering. Once you make more power you will have to upgrade your transmission and converter. Then comes suspension.

If you only have $4500 you may want to freshen up the motor and leave it stock. It will never end.......

If you're able to do the assembly yourself 4 grand can take you quite a way. You need to ask yourself how fast you can afford to go. I would go for a forged (maybe stroked) bottom end and upgrade to a roller cam. If you can get a set of stock ported heads you'll have a monster of an engine but if you can't afford them don't worry about it because that's something that's easy to upgrade later. If you don't have the ability to assemble it yourself then 4 thousand probably won't go that far. HTH james

4k you can do a lot
-most of your pistons hopefully are reusable
-crank, rings some other hard parts replace
-injs, chips buy used

find a good builder
Good luck

Hey Fellas,
I'm looking to do an engine rebuild one my stock 87 GN and I don't really want to spend much more than about 4 grand. Let me know what you think about doing as far as heads and throttle body maybe injectors, I just wanna have an idea of what my competition is running. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Maybe you should list your location and someone can recommend an affordable builder within driving distance if your not doing it yourself.

It's much easier if you don't have a budget - just pull out the VISA and spend spend spend:D

That's how you can get a stroker GNX

Back