You can type here any text you want

Engine Rebuild

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

GangsterMD

Turbo'd since '95
1) Some say you should make sure the machinist is familiar with Buick Turbo engines. Others say just ensure that you give him the proper specs. What is different about our engines or tolerances?
2) I want to build the bottom end right, but don't want to go overboard. At this point I'd like to build it to be able to run 10.50's - at some point. I don't know if I can afford everything at once though. So I'm thinking forged .020 pistons, stock rods & crank, girdle, stock main caps, cam (suggestions please), chain & gears, new front cover with high volume pump.
3) Heads - are stock ported heads ok, or will I need champion iron gn1's?
Please let me know your thoughts, or if I need more or less...
Thanks

#2- I would think a stock crank/rod combo with a girdle should do 10.50's without any issues. You don't have to go huge with the cam, but definately get a hyd. roller cam. For a street motor (sounds like what your building) I would think a 210/210 would work well.

#3- Champion irons are CNC ported stock Buick heads. They will out perform any average port job that a regular head guy will do. They should do 10.50's out of the box provided the rest of the combo is up to par.

Any thoughts on the machine work? There's not a lot of choices around here :rolleyes: I had a guy come around and look at it - it's not just his hobby it's his livelyhood. He's been doing racing motors forever - he runs a dragster. He did a hot air T Type about 9 years ago - but no turbo buicks since :confused: One other thing, rockers? Some say not much to gain by going with rollers? And what's with the 1.6 ratio - are they just giving you more lift?
Thanks a lot. :cool:

1) Some say you should make sure the machinist is familiar with Buick Turbo engines. Others say just ensure that you give him the proper specs. What is different about our engines or tolerances?
2) I want to build the bottom end right, but don't want to go overboard. At this point I'd like to build it to be able to run 10.50's - at some point. I don't know if I can afford everything at once though. So I'm thinking forged .020 pistons, stock rods & crank, girdle, stock main caps, cam (suggestions please), chain & gears, new front cover with high volume pump.
3) Heads - are stock ported heads ok, or will I need champion iron gn1's?
Please let me know your thoughts, or if I need more or less...
Thanks

1. Your clearances are going to depend on what your going to do with your car ie: drag, street/strip, cruising, DD.

2. You don't need a girdle for 10.50s. Do the 2 center mains in billet. Stock rods are good. I would look into getting a forged crank. Crank flex is what breaks these blocks. Oil pump is going to depend on your clearances.

3. Depends on your goals. If a head porter is good, he can outflow the Champions.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

It will be street/strip. I was thinking that a girdle might be a good compromise as opposed to a forged crank and billet caps? As for porting heads, how much better would the Champions be compared to an average port job?

It will be street/strip. I was thinking that a girdle might be a good compromise as opposed to a forged crank and billet caps? As for porting heads, how much better would the Champions be compared to an average port job?

That is the million dollar question. (Ok, it's really only a $1200 question) but, head porting a science. There are a fair amount of really good head porters out there. Becareful with comparing head flow numbers. Something to consider is that we are under boost, and most head porters flow test their heads at 28" of depression. (they apply enough vacuum to suck water 28" up a tube, and use this as a standard) This is a great standard to use, however, under boost, you would have to have somewhere over 1,000 inches to equal 20 psi boost. That is a LONG way from 28". So, what is the answer? There is power to be gained that the flow bench will NOT show. These gains (modifications) are only found at the track. Two heads with similar flow numbers may be WAY different at the track. Port volume is KING on a turbocharged engine. Big ports must also have decent low lift flow numbers, too. It's a balancing act. A simple slip of the carbide, and you can hurt the power output. Who had the best heads out there? They ALL do.....Just ask them.;) :biggrin:

Oh, ya, I have to add, that the more you learn and understand about engine development, the dumber you will feel. JUst when you think you have a decent understanding of what it takes to make good power, someone will make more power in a completely different way. More than one way to skin a cat. (I have never understood WHY anyone would WANT to skin a cat, though)

Back