You can type here any text you want

Engine Smoke

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

gsaenz1

Hey Guys, wondering if anyone has run into something similar to my case.

I've seem to be having smoke (rich fuel) working its way to the tail pipes.
I've done an overhaul to the engine but the smoke was there to begin with and is still there. I have changed my mufflers to dynamax and put in a 3 inch tubing all through with the cat converter not removed but piped through.
Could the O2 sensors be the cause?

Car smokes really bad when the pedal is punched (rich fuel... black smoke).

-Gil

Do you have a scantool?

If you dont.. start here. Scanmaster 2.1 is what you need. Use the search function. Without knowing data on what your computer seeing, impossible to answer anything.

And... stop throwing parts at the car until you have supporting data as to what sensor is having problems.

My guess.. wrong chip/injectors or bad MAF sensor...

Post your scanmaster numbers.. we'll tell you where to look.

Thanks Razor, I'll be posting those soon.
Appreciate your help.

-Gil #900 TTA

my old tta

There you are Gil, my old TTA #900 finally showed up.
Hey maybe we can get my turbolink labtop hookup your TTA. I have not hooked it up to mine cuz it been running fine. Since you redid the engine, lets meet up to compare vaccum lines too..

Roy

Hi,
Those are some serious rich problems you have. I was going to suggest that perhaps you had a bad MAF, but with that kind of overfueling, no way.
Instead, I believe it is more likely you are dealing with an incorrect configuration,i.e. wrong injectors and/or wrong prom. Razor said this, too.
He's the man, so as he says,get scanner capability,and really find out what's happening in your system. Good or bad, you have to discover what's going on in there. Good luck!

Hi,
Those are some serious rich problems you have. I was going to suggest that perhaps you had a bad MAF, but with that kind of overfueling, no way.
Instead, I believe it is more likely you are dealing with an incorrect configuration,i.e. wrong injectors and/or wrong prom. Razor said this, too.
He's the man, so as he says,get scanner capability,and really find out what's happening in your system. Good or bad, you have to discover what's going on in there. Good luck!
no kidding 83TTYPECOOLED.
New MAF, NEW Throttle pos sensor, new O2, and most of the other sensors have been replaced too. It almost sounds like there is an electrical problem. This engine has everything stock on it (enjectors as well).

Can seem to pin point this one. Now to top it off, My dome, dash, power locks, parking lights and head lights went out. Not the fuses, might be a fuselink or relay. Still digging this one.

Thanks Razor, I'll be posting those soon.
Appreciate your help.

-Gil #900 TTA

Here are the readings i have for you while the engie was acting up with smoke (Idle). It seems like when the car is turned off for a few minutes or so it works fine (no smoke) until perhaps 20 mins into driving and something a little longer.

O2 601,523,722,566,316 (FLUCTUATES) RTD 0.0
AF FROM A 16 READING TO A 53 (FLUCTUATES ALSO)
LB 54,50,53 (SEEMS TO BE IN THIS AREA)
BAT 13.4
INT 117,106,116,125 (DIFFERENT READINS AS WELL)
BL 105
NPH 0.0
CLT 196
AT5 134
R 00
TPS .56
IAC 55
NAL 00

I HAVE SEEN THE NAL AT TIMES GIVE CODE OF 74,54,55,42,45 AT TIMES
(HMM FORGOT TO WRITE DOWN THE RPMS) RPMS WERE ABOUT 700 AT THE TIME OF THIS READING. THIS WERE TAKEN AS SOON AS THE ENGINE STARTED SMOKING AT IDLE (AFTER DRIVING IT FOR AT LEAST 15-20 MINS.

Gil,
Hook up with Roy and try his known good MAF....An easy thing to do.
Check your injector/chip compatibility....Have you changed one or the other along the way?
If you steal Roy's TTA, I'll buy it from you ;)
I don't know how to decode the cross counts on the scanmaster data....What are your cross counts doing? Hope the CC's are cycling up and then back to zero, otherwise the O-2 sensor is suspect, I'd like to see the O-2 voltages include some readings in the 800+mv range with your black smoke at the tail pipe.

Roy,
Wife seems over the Cancer. Bought a house in that community where we met for the sale of my TTA. I say 'my' TTA because I really miss your car....Its gonna take $20K to replace it the way prices are going. :)

Gil,
Hook up with Roy and try his known good MAF....An easy thing to do.
Check your injector/chip compatibility....Have you changed one or the other along the way?
If you steal Roy's TTA, I'll buy it from you ;)
I don't know how to decode the cross counts on the scanmaster data....What are your cross counts doing? Hope the CC's are cycling up and then back to zero, otherwise the O-2 sensor is suspect, I'd like to see the O-2 voltages include some readings in the 800+mv range with your black smoke at the tail pipe.

Roy,
Wife seems over the Cancer. Bought a house in that community where we met for the sale of my TTA. I say 'my' TTA because I really miss your car....Its gonna take $20K to replace it the way prices are going. :)
Hmm, Good idea LEE!! I don't know if he'll let me borrow parts from his TTA but worth a try, even though the MAF i put in is a new one. I've even tried an 87 GN computer on it with the upgraded chip (stock inj.) and same thing.

tta maf

No problem Gil, just bring it by again and we can swap the MAF. I believe mine is from and LT1. I dont remember if Lee left me and backup, he did give me a lot of extra goodies.

Lee, good to hear you all setup here in Texas. Granbury was very nice. BTW, Gil and I met up a while ago and took some pics of both TTAs. Maybe when Gil gets it all tuned up we will race them :)

Can you tell which is which? ;)

ttas6.jpg

ttas7.jpg

ttas8.jpg

ttas9.jpg

ttas10.jpg

Couple things I see.

You are pegging your BLM's..you are real rich. What is your fuel pressure?
Your TPS is way off at idle. Set it to .44 at idle and 4.6 at WOT..set it car off ignition on.
Please get a 160 degree thermostat and a TurboTweak Home chip. The car will run much better 30 degrees cooler and the tweak chip will help get it in tune.

Jason

Roy,
Good to hear from you and that car looks great! Your car has the shiny wheels and the highest hood & the Alky. I sent you plenty of extra parts for troubleshooting: Stock MAF, ECM and on and on. You'll have the parts if they are needed. Happy to hear you haven't needed the Tlink :)

Quicky One is right about resetting the IAC and TPS, but it won't change the black soot at the tail pipe.

Gil,
Black soot at the tailpipe is consistent with the low BL. What would cause that? Look at the systems that meter the fuel: Fuel pressure (like Quicky One said), the O-2 & MAF sensors (like Razor said), and least likely the ECM. On cold start, it does not blow smoke....Because it starts in open loop. When the system runs on the computer's adjustments for fuel, air and timing is when it gets rich. A component of the feedback system is probably sending bad data to the ECM....That is my guess anyway.

How many grams per second (of air) is the MAF registering at idle? Should be about 4-6 gps.

Good luck, hope to see you in TX soon. :)

no kidding 83TTYPECOOLED.
New MAF, NEW Throttle pos sensor, new O2, and most of the other sensors have been replaced too. It almost sounds like there is an electrical problem. This engine has everything stock on it (enjectors as well).

Howdy!

I don't know much but, try getting the injectors cleaned or replace them. After all, they are 18 years old. Thu thing is yer dumping fuel. I've seen a few things that are very rare but can also cause this, cam sensor and a loose fuel pump connection. Both of these problems will also cause the car to run terrible and you didn't mention that so it's probably neither. Check the injectors then set the IAC, rpm's at idle and the TPS volts. HTH

Back