engine smoke

workingdan

My motor is smoking:frown: what is the chances its my turbo? I was planning to get a better turbo soon any way. So what should I get that will work with my currant combo ( look at my signature)?

Hey

How many miles on motor? When does it smoke? What color is the smoke? Are you losing coolant or oil? Have you checked for shaft play on the turbo? Any oil in the downpipe? Oil in the up-pipe or intercooler? What do your plugs look like? How is the car running? With your current mods and I guess you have stock unported heads? Do you have fresh 100# valve springs? You can find a TE44 probably pretty cheap on the board somewhere. Michael

What color is the smoke? If it's blue, it's oil. To check the compressor side of the turbo look in the uppipe and the IC for oil traces. To check the exhaust side pull the down pipe and see if there is oil coming out (you can run the motor with the downpipe disconnected). Check the pcv line to see if the pcv is allowing oil into the intake. Otherwise, it could be blowby.

How many miles on motor? When does it smoke? What color is the smoke? Are you losing coolant or oil? Have you checked for shaft play on the turbo? Any oil in the downpipe? Oil in the up-pipe or intercooler? What do your plugs look like? How is the car running? With your current mods and I guess you have stock unported heads? Do you have fresh 100# valve springs? You can find a TE44 probably pretty cheap on the board somewhere. Michael

The smoke is blue. I am using oil not coolant.I have not took any thing apart yet to check for oil or end play. I think I am just going to upgrade my turbo. If it still smokes I will have to do the rebuild.
What turbo should I buy??

Turbo

Depends on the money you want to spend. Is the orange stripe convertor a 2800 stall? I would stay with a TE44 or TE60. You can get those pretty reasonable for about $500. You have plenty of injector especially if you have stock heads. Does it run rich? I would make sure you don't have gas in the oil and good oil pressure before getting a new turbo. I would also get a turbo saver and install at the same time as the turbo.

Depends on the money you want to spend. Is the orange stripe convertor a 2800 stall? I would stay with a TE44 or TE60. You can get those pretty reasonable for about $500. You have plenty of injector especially if you have stock heads. Does it run rich? I would make sure you don't have gas in the oil and good oil pressure before getting a new turbo. I would also get a turbo saver and install at the same time as the turbo.

The orange strip calls to be a 2800 rpm stall. I dont think it stalls that high. It isnt too rich. I had to turn my fuel pressure way down (24psi) to get the car to run decant. I have great oil pressure and I dont smell any gas in the oil. Yes I plan on a turbo saver at install. Thanks for you advice.