You can type here any text you want

Engine strap down

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

eagleguy

I have seen a few GN and T Types with a hold down strap on the D/S front of the engine. Is there are particular need for this?

From what i have heard its an old school method of controlling engine twist prior to better mounts that have been engineered

From what i have heard its an old school method of controlling engine twist prior to better mounts that have been engineered

I ran one for along time . The reason behind it is to save your motor mounts . After you start making some decent power the stock mounts just don't hold up and being a cheap GN owner I would rather spend the 30$ then the 260 for poly mounts

Ideally,you don't want to control engine rotation at the front of the engine with any device including engine mounts that transfer vibration to the frame.The weaker the block,the more you want to avoid doing this. Our blocks definitely fit into the weak block category. Under hard acceleration,the transmission is exerting a counterclockwise rotational force to the back of the engine block when viewed from the front of the car. If we stop this force from rotating the block,at the front of the block,we are twisting the block like we do when we ring out a wash cloth. The way to reduce this stress is to stop the rotation of the block at the back of the block.The RJC engine brace does this. Some of the people who try to get as much as they can out of their weak Oldsmobile blocks run stock engine and trans mounts with a midplate between the block and trans to control twist. It take stress of of the engine block and allows them to produce more power without breaking their blocks. You never want to use a rigid trans mount for sure. It will break the transmission housing.

It's not a good idea to tie the strap to the accessory bracket. To add to the reasons Ttype6 mentioned the strap loads the accessory bracket to the point where the bolts holding it to the block eventually loosen and may even break the accessory bracket. I have seen both cases.

I done away with the strap and got the RJC brace , It holds the engine in place and looks a lot better , to me , than the strap . New they are bout 125 $ from RJC

They work if you use them correctly. If you put a strap on a car with a busted engine mount and try and make the strap do all the work, you can risk breaking the ear off the bracket. If you have a good mount and install the strap they can keep each other safe.

The main trick is not to start with a broken mount and ratchet the shit out of the strap. That will make the rear view mirror 'buzzy' and the car will fell like it's got a bad wheel bearing.

The engine needs to be positivity located from stock power all the way up to a max effort build.

Back