engine strap

BlackoutDrunk

Spring Loaded Idiot
Where else can I buy an engine/torque strap? Poston's site keeps bombing out when I try to order from them.

Stealth!

:D I have the stealth engine strap. Looks great and it works wonderful...:biggrin: I painted mine black to make it even less noticeable. Had mine in since 2001 with no issues!

Or you could pick that stuff up at a hardware store for $10. Personally I would go with a poly drivers side engine mount. I used to use a torque strap until one day it snapped the aluminum accessory bracket in two. I went HR mounts (driver, passenger, and tranny) and never looked back. Less movement than when I used a torque strap. I know all three is a decent cash outlay compared to a strap, but if you just do the drivers side you'd probably get the same results without risking breakage of the bracket (which would definitely offset the cost) for just a little more money. As a bonus you wouldn't have a ghetto looking torque strap cluttering up the engine bay. Not that it matters much I suppose. Our engine bays are kinda cluttered regardless. Anyway, that's my .02. james

Edit: I started typing before you guys posted the stealth stuff. I personally would still go with a poly mount.

I'm picking up my 86 GN tonight (my first turbo buick ever) and I just want to spend a little bit of money now to make sure things hold together well. I like the idea of new mounts instead or relying on a nylon strap to hold the engine down. I think I have a winter project already. :biggrin:

Thanks for the input everyone.

The stealth one I posted isn't nylon at all...it's all metal...3 separate pieces attached together...just look at the pic...as far as breaking the alt bracket most that I've seen or heard about are because the 2 stock brackets that support the alt bracket weren't used...and as for the "ghetto looking" comment all I can do is laugh...what's "ghetto" about an all metal tie-down?...mine is black and if you looked in my engine bay you probably wouldn't even notice it...

Regardless...I've seen the nylon ones which I'm not a fan of and there is nothing "ghetto" (no tone intended) about them...and I wasn't talking about bolts for the accessory bracket...I was talking about the 2 support brackets that attach to the back of the acc bracket and secure to the header studs...have seen people leave them off and then wonder why the acc bracket or alt case cracked...

I had a 1" red strap which snapped and recently had to put a larger 1.5" regular "Crappy Tire" Tiedown strap on it. For you USA guys....Lowes or equivalent. It was very cheap and works just fine, but it is ugly and yellow. I'd suggest it as a temporary fix.