You can type here any text you want

eprom extension cable

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Joel_E

Has anyone used Casper's eprom extension cable? I wanted to move my chip to the glove box area so I don't have to keep taking the ECM in and out. I see it has shielding but wanted some opinions from people who have actually used it to see if there were any potential problems.

I tried to buy one of these but after six months of "it's shipping real soon now", John finally told me that he had always had an occasional random glitch with these and that therefore he no longer sold them. Maybe you'll have better luck buying one? I built my own.

I've got a Caspers' one bought it last year on sale.

Moved my maxeffort chip to the glove box to be safer since the ECM is kinda exposed in the footwell.

Didn't have shielding on it that I could see and no problems.

Not sure if these were left overs and he isn't making them anymore or not. Can't remember. ;)

Email him for details for sure.

Mine works fine, no glitches, wish I could say the same for the direct scan connection on my other car. :D

Daily driver too. :)

Glad your switcher is working. John made it sound like the glitches were just often enough that he wasn't happy, being the fine perfectionist that he is. As for DS, the most common problems are where the connector fits on the ecm board. Some connectors can slide on too far and short out traces where the fingers transition into traces. If this is the problem, cut a toothpick or part of a cable tie and push it into the bottom of the connector to space it out some. Also, the fingers aren't centered on some ecms, and the portion of the board that sticks out with the fingers can be a little narrow as well. Both cases can lead to the connector pins not being centered on the board fingers and again, shorts and problems. If you have to, you can add a shim inside one end of the connector to keep it lined up. On one of my ecms I actually had to trim one side of the board so the connector could move sideways enough to line up, then I added a toothpick to the opposite side to keep it from moving back over.

My cable is NOT a switcher. Made to extend 1 ECM Prom only.

The switch boxes never worked from what John Spina seemed to allude to.

Just an extension cable that works fine. :)

Carl I had problems the first time I put the ECM in the GN back in the pod thingy. Cable was at the bottom and went in too far.

Took a while but I got the right amount of isolation to keep the ECM and cable from moving around in the pod. thingy. :)

Back