Erik Brann dead at 52

MG8T7GN

Some of our <ahem> elder members will remember Erik as the lead guitarist of Iron Butterfly. The band remembered for the 17+ minute In-A-Gadda_Da-Vida. He died of cardiac arrest. Ahh... the good old days of acid rock.Mark

Sorry to here that. I remember seeing a concert at the Fillmore East in NY 1969 I think. Iron Butterfly was the opening act for Led Zeppelin. How's that for a concert.:cool:

Originally posted by ULYCYC
Sorry to here that. I remember seeing a concert at the Fillmore East in NY 1969 I think. Iron Butterfly was the opening act for Led Zeppelin. How's that for a concert.:cool:

Ed, I bet you rolled a perfect joint back then.

Hey, don't ask Artie Paltz for a opinion on the main event.:)

Artie

In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida

ONE HIT WONDER FACTOID:

The name of the song was originally:

***"In The Garden of Eden"***

But, he mumbled the title/lyrics into "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" on the recording, and it was renamed such...because it was "unique"
------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by MG8T7GN
17+ minute In-A-Gadda_Da-Vida.

You listen to to much AM radio.
The song was actually 49 mins.

Oh how I remember being wasted & listening to this song in my headphones. :D

49 minutes? the whole ALBUM may have been 49 minutes, because that's about all that would fit!

17:05

(and Erik Brann was 17 when they made the album)

I don't think you could buy a 49 minute long album back in 1968. You must have forgot to put a penny over top of the phono cartidge and the record was skipping :) My original pressing album shows it to be 17.05 minutes long- same as the cd. The live album has it at 19.00 minutes.

Mark

Bummer II...

GREAT SONG !, good era, good memories, few responsabilities, great car, ('68 Road Runner)

Haven't seen much else other than this:

Mr. Braunn, who was born in Pekin, Ill., and raised in Los Angeles, was a violin prodigy who began his musical career at 4. He joined the heavy-metal band Iron Butterfly when he was 16 and toured with it from 1967 to 1969, when the group was enjoying its greatest success.

Mr. Braunn, Doug Ingle, Ron Bushy and Lee Dorman left their mark on musical history with the psychedelic "In-a-Gadda-da-Vida," released in 1968.

It went platinum and stayed on the national sales chart for two years; a three-minute version became a Top 40 radio hit.

Mr. Braunn occasionally reunited with the band for performances and worked as a songwriter, musician and producer until his death.

During a 1988 reunion he told The Los Angeles Times about his experience with stardom decades earlier: "My first vacation I bought a car, a Jaguar, and parked it outside the hospital where I spent two weeks for ulcers and gastroenteritis."

Originally posted by MG8T7GN
My original pressing album shows it to be 17.05 minutes long- same as the cd. The live album has it at 19.00 minutes.

Mark
The funniest thing about that is for all its length, the entire lyrics amount to the following:
In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida, honey,
don't you know that I love you?
In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida, baby,
don't you know that I'll always be true?

Oh, won't you come with me
and take my hand?

Oh, won't you come with me
and walk this land?

Please take my hand!
:D :p