You can type here any text you want

esc module

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
What is the difference in the 86 and 87 esc modules???

I would think there is no difference in the modules.

Description of the module function-ESC is used to sense spark knock (pinging) and retard the timing to eliminate it. A knock sensor (located at the rear of the engine block) sends signals to an ESC module which then signals the ECM that knocking is being detected. The ECM will retard the timing by as much as 20 degrees in 1 degree increments. A loss of knock sensor signal or loss of ground at the ESC module will cause the signal at the ECM to remain high. The ECM will act as if no knock is present, and may possibly result in engine damage, if there is detonation.

Loss of the ESC signal to the ECM will cause the ECM to constantly retard the timing to its maximum. This results in sluggish performance and a Code 43

Here is a link to caspers that shows the splice connector for the esc module that fits 84 - 89.

CEI - Casper's Electronics, Inc.

This is what I was told by a couple people about the esc modules. I tried both on my 87 and absolutely no difference in the way the car runs. HTH. :)

""The '87 ESC is nothing more then a cost reduced version of the '84 - '86 ESC filters. Otherwise the same spec's.""

Back