ESP Performance Hot Air 3" downpipe

bodycount

LS What?
Anyone have any experience with this down pipe? Their site lists it as a replacement. Just wondering if it just bolts on to the lower down pipe. Any real world experience would be appreciated.

I've never heard of their downpipe, but sure enough it's listed on their site and doen't seem like a bad price either (It's under EXH050)

ESP Products

For that price, it probably bolts on to the elbow instead of eliminating it. I'm sure it's much, much better than stock but eliminating the elbow is a big part also. You can always buy the 3" elbow for the 87s to compliment it. It's the exact same elbow for all years.

For that price, it probably bolts on to the elbow instead of eliminating it. I'm sure it's much, much better than stock but eliminating the elbow is a big part also. You can always buy the 3" elbow for the 87s to compliment it. It's the exact same elbow for all years.

Excellent advise here. Stock turbo elbow-2 inch-means you have a two inch exhaust. Stock turbo elbow with a 3 inch downpipe really gets you nowhere. My 2 cents. Brad

Does anyone make/sell a bolt on 3" downpipe for HA cars? One that replaces the stock elbow. I remember reading something about G-body Parts making one awhile back but I have never seen one on their website.

just for reference the ESP downpipe is not available as of this date. I just called and they no longer offer it and don't have immediate plans to make it. As a further reference a 3 inch downpipe on a 2 inch elbow is better than an all 2 inch pipe, just not as good as a complete 3 inch system. A bend will always flow less than a straight tube, so it makes sense for the bends to be a bigger diameter when possible.

Greg

just for reference the ESP downpipe is not available as of this date. I just called and they no longer offer it and don't have immediate plans to make it. As a further reference a 3 inch downpipe on a 2 inch elbow is better than an all 2 inch pipe, just not as good as a complete 3 inch system. A bend will always flow less than a straight tube, so it makes sense for the bends to be a bigger diameter when possible.

Greg

A 2 inch turbo elbow means you have a 2 inch exhaust. The benefit gain of a 3 inch exhaust with a 2 inch turbo elbow is minimal. The turbo elbow has to go. A hot air turbo either stock or a TA33C cannot flow enough to benefit from a 3 inch integrated downpipe and exhaust system. I run a 2 1/2integrated downpipe and exhaust and my car as minimal backpressure. The 86/87 cars can use a much larger turbo where the bigger dowpipe and exhaust makes sense. My opinion. Bad

A 2 inch turbo elbow means you have a 2 inch exhaust. The benefit gain of a 3 inch exhaust with a 2 inch turbo elbow is minimal. The turbo elbow has to go. A hot air turbo either stock or a TA33C cannot flow enough to benefit from a 3 inch integrated downpipe and exhaust system. I run a 2 1/2integrated downpipe and exhaust and my car as minimal backpressure. The 86/87 cars can use a much larger turbo where the bigger dowpipe and exhaust makes sense. My opinion. Bad

I totally agree. 3 inch on a hot air car is a wasted effort. Money is better spent on other upgrades. I was referring to the actual statement that a 2 inch elbow meant you have a 2 inch exhaust, inferring that ANYTHING bigger than 2 inch down stream of the turbo would have zero effect performancewise. That statement is completely false. By that theory you can look into the inlet of the exaust side of dang near any turbo and not see a need for anything bigger than a 2 inch exhaust. We know from real world experience that that is not true. I have yet to see a performance drop from having too big of a downpipe or exhaust system in general on a turbo car. You very well may spend a lot of money for no gain, however. I currently have a 82 ttype in my shop and am fighting this with the owner. He is bound and determined he needs a bigger turbo, and I am trying to convince him to spend his money on better exhaust and maybe an alcohol system. Anything more than that is really futile on a carbed regal turbo car.

Greg Kring
2002 BG Super 16 winner
ex Buick owner

I totally agree. 3 inch on a hot air car is a wasted effort. Money is better spent on other upgrades. I was referring to the actual statement that a 2 inch elbow meant you have a 2 inch exhaust, inferring that ANYTHING bigger than 2 inch down stream of the turbo would have zero effect performancewise. That statement is completely false. By that theory you can look into the inlet of the exaust side of dang near any turbo and not see a need for anything bigger than a 2 inch exhaust. We know from real world experience that that is not true. I have yet to see a performance drop from having too big of a downpipe or exhaust system in general on a turbo car. You very well may spend a lot of money for no gain, however. I currently have a 82 ttype in my shop and am fighting this with the owner. He is bound and determined he needs a bigger turbo, and I am trying to convince him to spend his money on better exhaust and maybe an alcohol system. Anything more than that is really futile on a carbed regal turbo car.

Greg Kring
2002 BG Super 16 winner
ex Buick owner

The total exhaust restriction is the sum of all the restrictions, not just the biggest one. If the opposite were true, there would be no point in ever upgrading since the turbo is probably the biggest single restriction. I think that was what you were saying, right?

Still, getting rid of the elbow is important. If I remember right, the exhaust comes out of the turbine housing in a vortex and you want the DP to come off of the turbine as straight as possible for as long as possible.