exhaust header bolts have six different styles why??

grass doctor

Dream Catcher
TurboBuick.Com Supporter!
so which bolts go where, they all have the built in washer on them just curious on these babies the five up top are for something else and have one odd ball with larger end and two longer styles with the same style washer
interesting
IMG_2776.JPG

Many of those with the studded top are not needed. One holds the dip stick and one holds the back of the ac bracket and I think that's all. The headers are setup to use three long and three short per side. You seem to have extras of some and missing the unstudded kind. Richard Clark should have the exact picture for stock appearing.

thank you it was hard to see in service manual and better picture of stock set up would be great

Matt, I'll add some pics from the engine displays tomorrow. trying to get all I can done outside before the rain comes.

I would be interested in the long ones with the flat round washers. I believe they are for the timing cover and front short intake. Let me know when you have it sorted out.
Thanks

funny thing is they all have that style washer on them and it was made on the bolt cannot get them off . i have also heard these are the best style compared to other aftermarket options

Did you take a N/A engine apart ? I have some of those from the exhaust from one. Turbo engine uses 3 long on top driver side 3 on passenger side

Attachments

• A97CDD1A-FAE0-4EF1-9069-5199539B15A9.jpeg
    A97CDD1A-FAE0-4EF1-9069-5199539B15A9.jpeg
    673 KB · Views: 23
  • 3425490D-F171-4665-9A6F-AE3382252B02.jpeg
    3425490D-F171-4665-9A6F-AE3382252B02.jpeg
    625.7 KB · Views: 24
The one oddball is intake forward Drivers side should be one more same bottom with washer smaller top threaded part passenger side forward

thanks man those pics are better than ones I have , and who knows if any are from NA motor good possibility.

See how the oil pan bolt has a nipple, this is bolt not always but usually indicates a bolt to the block ,oil pan front cover valve cover.

two days soaking in evaporust and one in oil , cleaned up nice re chase all the threads and will be very nice ,
I need a little sand blast gun that goes on air hose probably buy one soon

That one oddball looks like it might be the unnecessary bolt/stud that goes on the water pump. (if so, be careful. That one is metric).

Basically the headers have spacers across the top row. Those get long bolts. GM used those studded fasteners on all of them even though only the front two on DS need to be there. (one is the acc bracket brace and the other is for the dipstick tube). Way back in the day I cut the studs off the unneeded ones so I could get them out with a normal socket.

Now I run these and have zero problems R&Ring my headers if I need to. Problem solved.

s-l1600a.jpg
s-l1600.jpg

Matt, I'll add some pics from the engine displays tomorrow. trying to get all I can done outside before the rain comes.

from GM exploded parts diagram...

DRIVER'S SIDE:
TOP: 3x - M8 x 1.25 x 20 / 3/8 - 16 x 49.5mm LW (about 49.5mm from top of hex nut to tip of 3/8 shank end)
BOTTOM, L to R: M8 x 1.25 x 28 / 3/8-16 x .92; 2x - bolt 3/8 - 16 x 1

PASSENGER SIDE:
TOP: same as driver's side
BOTTOM: 3x - bolt 3/8 - 16 x 1
P1000363.JPG
P1000886.JPG