You can type here any text you want

exhaust housing

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
I would call and speak with some turbo guys like John Craig of Limit Engineering (his phone # is 928-453-7321) or Harry and Pat of PTE www.precisionte.com ....
HTH:)

I have a .81 housing on mine. I do have a PTE .68 housing I never installed if you are interested. This is tagential.

Originally posted by njturbo
The larger the harder it will be to spool. :eek: :eek:

I have a 4 bolt 76Q with a .96 housing. It spools instantly. We run from a pro tree and I have NO problem being ready for the light.

On another note....I spoke to John Craig today. When our race season is over (3 more weeks ) I'm going to send him my turbo...and he's going to convert it to an 88 compressor wheel with a new style 10 blade turbine. He says he was never happy with the 88's he made before but now with the new turbine (that he developed) he's starting to make 88's again.

Art F...you should call him. John convinced me that they'll not have the spooling problems the other 88's had. And the conversion will only cost $400. Hey, a Buick upgrade that is under $1000. :)

Chris

I also have a 76Q with ceramic BB and .96 a/r and it spools fast. Very streetable turbo on my stage II .
Allan Gorneault

Originally posted by ChrisCairns
On another note....I spoke to John Craig today. When our race season is over (3 more weeks ) I'm going to send him my turbo...and he's going to convert it to an 88 compressor wheel with a new style 10 blade turbine. He says he was never happy with the 88's he made before but now with the new turbine (that he developed) he's starting to make 88's again.

Art F...you should call him. John convinced me that they'll not have the spooling problems the other 88's had. And the conversion will only cost $400. Hey, a Buick upgrade that is under $1000. :)

Chris

Heheh, I just got my turbo back from him with a facelift. Since 2000 (many races), I have been running an 88 compressor / Q trim / 3-bolt 0.85 PTE integral wastegate / 3" dp. This is a Limit-built turbo. John may not have been happy with it, but I have been. There has been no spool problem whatsoever, period, you must be referring to an "88" with a much bigger exhaust housing(some people w/o a big turbo use this term as if it must denote a specific complete turbo). I loved this turbo! 9.50 @ 143 is all I have gotten out of it though, and bending valves (superalloy included) has been a problem lately - possible due to EGT, and I'm sick about it. To address this in part, I just had John redo the exhaust side of the turbo (including 4-bolt), I had a 4" dp built, and installed a Tial gate. It should pick up a tad even if the enhanced flow doesn't solve the valve trouble. In that case, I may give up on the GN1s.

I just got this thing buttoned up. Here's one look at what the change looks like: www.geocities.com/joyof6/Downpipe

Yahoo is freaking out since my free account seems to be exceeding its data transfer allowance... try back later ;)

Art

Originally posted by JoyOf6
Heheh, I just got my turbo back from him with a facelift. For two years (many races), I have been running an 88 compressor / Q trim / 3-bolt 0.85 PTE integral wastegate / 3" dp. This is a Limit-built turbo. John may not have been happy with it, but I have been. There has been no spool problem whatsoever, period, I loved this turbo! 9.50 @ 143 is all I have gotten out of it though, and bending valves (superalloy included) has been a problem lately - possible due to EGT, and I'm sick about it. To address this in part, I just had John redo the exhaust side of the turbo (including 4-bolt), I had a 4" dp built, and installed a Tial gate. It should pick up a tad even if the enhanced flow doesn't solve the valve trouble. In that case, I may give up on the GN1s.

I just got this thing buttoned up. Here's one look at what the change looks like: www.geocities.com/joyof6/Downpipe

Art

So YOU were one of the guys he built an 88 for. When I asked John about an 88 at the time he built my 76 (six months ago) he told me he had built a few but he wasn't happy with them. Dunno why...I simply assumed spool.

That's good to hear that you're happy with yours....makes me feel better about getting one.:)

I'd kill for a 4" downpipe. I have looked and looked at mine and think I'd have to completely chop away the midplate to even fit a 3.5" downpipe through it.

I checked your pic....that thing looks good. Buick shoulda done that...saved us all a lot of trouble. :D :D

So YOU were one of the guys he built an 88 for. When I asked John about an 88 at the time he built my 76 (six months ago) he told me he had built a few but he wasn't happy with them. Dunno why...I simply assumed spool.

Yeah, I must have had connections LOL. Geez, I thought I told you about this at BG the past 2 years! I can't keep a secret anyway. Spools fine, and that's the main reason I've stuck with it for so long for bracket racing. The tradeoff is weaker mph and ET compared to the PTE88.

I'd kill for a 4" downpipe. I have looked and looked at mine and think I'd have to completely chop away the midplate to even fit a 3.5" downpipe through it.

Then chop away... or better yet, don't even run the dp back that far, you've said yourself this is a race toy :).

Art

Yeah, I must have had connections LOL. Geez, I thought I told you about this at BG the past 2 years!
+++++++++
Why I DIDN'T think you had an 88 was that when we were talking about them in BG you said they spooled so slow and advised me to go listen to the 88 guys spool up on the line. I thought you had a 76. Me bad.
+++++++++

Then chop away... or better yet, don't even run the dp back that far, you've said yourself this is a race toy :).

Art

++++++++

I had the exhaust exiting from end of the dpipe. It got sooo hot that I melted a wire ON THE BACKSIDE of the tranny crossmember. (Now have a small turndown on the end of the dpipe.) Too much heat to end the dpipe anywhere in the engine compartment...lol.

I have considered running a fenderwell dump and in fact have a new 4" V-Clamp flange for the turbo so I can do that. Just another thing I have yet to do.

Why I DIDN'T think you had an 88 was that when we were talking about them in BG you said they spooled so slow and advised me to go listen to the 88 guys spool up on the line. I thought you had a 76. Me bad.

OK, I see. I am not surprised that so many people think that 88 is shorthand for only PTE88 since they are in the overwhelming majority and it is a well-advertised model (that I have great admiration for). Sorry if I used that sloppy lingo with you though. Different animal. It's not the "88" part of the turbo that's responsible for the spool. Maybe the distinction will become globally apparent when some more of the JC units hit the street. Now I'm in trouble with someone for what I told you about the spooling, it's all relative, not a flame, they are all slamdunk fantabulous turbos.

BTW, sorry for stomping all over cutt's thread...

Art

Damn, you're right Art. I forgot this was Cutt's thread...lol. Sorry.

So Cutt...I have a .96 housing...and the turbo was originally sent back from Craig's with a 1.14 a/r housing. I took that off without trying it (wish I had though) and put on the .96. No problem with spool but remember I have a larger than normal S2 ... being 283 cu in.

Ted uses a .81 and has no problem. If it was me choosing, I'd phone John and discuss it with him. And he's so easy to get along with I'll betcha he'd send you two housings to try....and then you just send back the one you don't use. If you do it this way ask John to send you some nickel antiseize to put on the new housing.

Chris

Limit Engineering - John C. Craig
885 Kiowa Ave Lake Havasu City, AZ 86403
1 (928) 453-7321
1 (928) 453-0789 (fax)

Thanks Mac,
i am selecting my turbo as we speak. Think i am going with t76 q trim 83 exhaust. ;)

I've never had any trouble spooling with the PTE88 at all, using a TH400 w/ a brake or a TH200 on the foot brake.

Bill,

Please respoond to e-mail i sent you. I am gathering the balance of parts prior to dropping off engine at your shop. Thanks ;)

I have a 4 bolt 76Q with a .96 housing. It spools instantly. We run from a pro tree and I have NO problem being ready for the light.

Chris

I too have a similar turbo. Turbonetics ball bearing 76 with .96 housing using a 3" V band exhaust. WOW $400 for an upgrade to an 88 turbine? That's almost unbelievable! Please keep us posted as this would be an upgrade I'd consider. Can he really fit an 88 wheel in the same housing? Reason I never considered upgrading to an 88 was that with the new housing I'm going to have clearance problems with the BIG precision exhaust housing. If John is able to mill out the existing housing to accept an 88 wheel that's amazing, especially if the upgrade is under a grand let alone $400!!! Please keep us posted!

Back