You can type here any text you want

exhaust leak on t/h downpipe

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

turbowidow

just installed a terry houston downpipe on the car( big thanks to the wife for ordering it!!!) and can't get the elbow to seal to the downpipe. tried the clamp that john sent with the pipe, tried a stainless "band" clamp- no luck. do you crank the hell out of these clamps to get them to seal, i don't want to crush the pipe(if that is possible). need some ideas because i'm itching to take this thing out- sounds REAL mean with the cut-out open!

You really have crank that thing as tight as possible. You won't crush the pipe. Tighten it up again after a few heat cycles. It'll seal.

Get a cutoff wheel and cut some slits into the the THDP, this allows it to close.

And the clamp.. torque it down to 70FT lbs.

the pipe already has the slits cut in the 12,3,6,and 9 o'clock positions. i can't get the clamps any tighter (ends are touching). seems like the downpipe was over flared or the bend isn't quite right. i might try a smaller clamp and see if it will pullup. after looking through the archives i wasn't looking forward to installing this, but the actual install wasn't as bad as some discribed. typical of my luck, the easiest part of install goes haywire:mad:

Its a good thing you have a low 11 second TTA that needs a downpipe ;)

Exhuast is way over rated :D

Time for the BFH :eek:

i couldn't take it any more, took the car out with the leak. WOW!!! so this is how it should run! with the alcohol, downpipe, and better tuning this thing is starting to REALLY RUN. i really need to get this to the track because i can't find enough real estate to run it into 3rd gear but it feels good so far. just sent eric marshall money for a chip, get that installed and i think it will be time to go get new time slips. BTW leak got a little better after running it a while, didn't notice any elevated engine temps, i might be able to live with it;)

Back