You can type here any text you want

exhaust leaks

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Matt McClung

Hotair guy who owns a I/C
I own an 84' GN with Poston headers, I am getting really good at replacing header gaskets, I use fel pro gaskets and have been looking for copper gaskets. I found some copper gaskets from ATR, but they said the copper gaskets would only work with aluminium heads, I found this strange cause I thought the pattern was the same. anyway I have used high temp permatex, with no success. anybody have any ideas to how I can make these headers seal up? One good thing I have to point out is that I can replace both sides in about an hour.:cool: But I would rather not have to keep doing it.;)

Thanks guys

Leaks at headers

Have not tried this on aftermarket headers, but have tried on stock GN headers and cast iron exhaust manifolds, that just would not hold a gasket.

Used a belt sander to clean up the surface of the manifold so that it would fit on the head flat. Has worked great as the car no longer blows gaskets. I'm sure taking to a machine shop and having the surface planed would be better, but this sure worked for me.

YOU MIGHT YRY SOME BREAKABLE LOC-TIGHT. ON MY CAR THE BOLTS WOULD BACK OUT A LITTLE AND BLOW A HOLE IN THE GASKET. AFTER USING LOC TIGHT IT LASTED FOR YEARS UNTIL I BLEW IT UP. AFTER REBULD I USED ATR HEADERS AND FEL PRO GASKETS FROM ATR,ALL WITH A LITTLE LOC TIGHT.WORKS GOOD SO FAR. I ALSO AM PRETTY GOOD AT REPLACING AT THOES DARN GASKETS.THE GASKETS THAT LASTED SO LONG WERE JUST CHEAP ONES YOU CAN GET AT ANY PARTS STORE.

Didn't use any gasket maker on mine...can't attest to longevity though.

Haven't had her running that long but they seal up good. I used the gaskets that came with my ATR headers - no goop - no problem.

I'm another vote for Permatex Ultra Copper though....works magic on my ATR Header / Up-pipe seal. I'll buy another tube of that if I ever run out anytiime.

exhaust gaskets

postons has soft copper gaskets for about $30.00 a pair that i just installed.matt

I am not using any gaskets or goop on my headers and they sealed fine , they are stock tho so I dont know if this is any different?

Ya...stockers have no gaskets.....

Not sure why. Seem to seal okay.....but I don't think I would try it with aftermarket or even after taking the OEM ones off and re-installing them.

I could not get my stock header to seal with the felpro's. I used a little bit of the sealant and no gaskets.

Matt,

After trying just about everything on the market I ordered a set of copper gaskets from ATR (they told me the same thing--it's not going to work). This was about July, they fit fine and still no leaks!!!

;)

No gaskets! The factory didn't use them, they're not needed. You can use silicone with no gaskets if you like. Make sure they're flat. If they aren't flat, gaskets will only help for a little while before they blow out. If they won't seal without gaskets they will definately blow the gaskets out pretty quickly. If I HAD to use gaskets it would be the copper ones but regular header gaskets lasted me about 10min.

Have you tried them without gaskets yet? If not, try it.

Back