You can type here any text you want

Exhaust Manifold Gasket?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Jas89TTA

Is there a header gasket for the TTA? When I pulled mine off there was no gasket and looked like it may have been leaking. I was wondering if it's recommed to install one and if so what's the part number? Thanks, Jason

No gasket on mine either. Just RTV around the ports, let it set, installed headers.

HTH

Originally posted by Jas89TTA
Is there a header gasket for the TTA? When I pulled mine off there was no gasket and looked like it may have been leaking. I was wondering if it's recommed to install one and if so what's the part number? Thanks, Jason

Jason,

You can get custom made header gaskets from the GSCA. The # to call is 229-244-0577, be sure to specify Turbo Trans Am because the same company makes them for the Buicks. You have to be a member to buy parts from them but, you can get really good prices. The gaskets are made of a graphoil material and are reusable. The deal is, the headers and the sealing surface on the heads are machined, they seal fine when new but after they've gone thru many heat cycles and are seperated, they will not seal well again. You will need a buddy to help with the install once you are ready to put the cross over pipe on since the gaskets move the headers out on each side buy about 1/16". Line both sides of the cross over up, tighten until it's touching the headers, start the pass side up so it is in position to seal, snug not tight, you just don't want it to move. Then go to the drivers side and with a bar, pry off the block and pull the cross over into place and tighten. You should be able to then go back to the pass side and tighten it at this point. When yer headers are leaking, your losing exhaust you need for spool plus, it can lead to a burnt valve. It's much cheaper to buy the gaskets and high temp silicone don't work. HTH

I run a Fel Pro 93046 on my pass side header(cause the flange is warped). They are sold as a set MS93046.

HTH,
Steve

Exhaust Manifold Gasket

I had the same problem,where the exhaust was leaking where the exhaust manifold meets the head and could not find the right gasket. I went to the parts store and got the Fel-Pro #MS 93046 that TTA850 recomended and they are a perfect fit:)

I can honestly say that the guys on this board have been a great help to me in the past and continue to amaze me on there knowledge of these cars. Again Thanks to all!!

I replaced that gasket 2 times. When it happened the third time, I re-surfaced my headers and used a copper-sealent. Works great.

the ones you nedd are for a bonneville 3.8 vin code 3 i believe. 1 piece graphite stamped steel exhaust gasket.

gasket

Hi ,
I think Poston sells a set of copper gaskets for these; you won't get any better sealing. I used their turbo gasket, works fine.Also , they are reuseable.
Dale

Re: gasket

Originally posted by 83ttypecooled
Hi ,
I think Poston sells a set of copper gaskets for these; you won't get any better sealing. I used their turbo gasket, works fine.Also , they are reuseable.
Dale

I got a set from ATR, but they are very thick. Ask Jan Larsson, I gave them to him.

Yep, got them from Andreas and they are really think stamped copper. They proberbly work very well and can be reused but they are thick and will move the headers far out and the crossover probabrly have to be changed (lengthened) to work with them ....

Back