You can type here any text you want

Exhaust manifold leaks

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

mikemcvaney

Do I need to run gaskets ? It didnt have exhaust leaks til the motor was rebuilt . Second set of gaskets did not have any from the factory and it did not leak. The car has 79 iron manifolds. Any soggestions would be appreciated. Thanks Mike

When I had my 79 I didn't have any leaks, even after swapping a driver's side manifold. I would try gaskets, and try to do a retorque after a few heat cycles. If that doesn't work you may have to pull them and get them planed.

Soak 2 sets in water first. Then instal both of the them. Tighten them up and warm the engine up. Tighten them up again and you should be god.

LOL! It also works when you talk a two girls into making out in front of your out of town guests:cool:

After blowing out two sets on my first car, I never run them. They didn't have them from the factory. I didn't use them when I installed the cast manifold on my '83 and no leaks after several years.

After blowing out two sets on my first car, I never run them. They didn't have them from the factory. I didn't use them when I installed the cast manifold on my '83 and no leaks after several years.

Rich is right about this. Unless the flanges have some warp to them this is the best solution, period. If you have to use gaskets though the way I mentioned usually keeps them from blowing. I like to check them after a week and re-tighten them again though because they some time loosen up after a week.

Rich is right about this. Unless the flanges have some warp to them this is the best solution, period. If you have to use gaskets though the way I mentioned usually keeps them from blowing. I like to check them after a week and re-tighten them again though because they some time loosen up after a week.

that makes sense. The flanges are pretty straight and I believe I can run them without gaskets. I also like to use some header wrap as well to help draw some heat away.

that makes sense. The flanges are pretty straight and I believe I can run them without gaskets. I also like to use some header wrap as well to help draw some heat away.
Used header wrap on mine would not suggest it. Mike

Back