You can type here any text you want

exhaust systems

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Thanks Jicaju, was haing difficulty figuring out which was which, pictures arent helpful when they all show the same system.

The SLP direct bolt on is cancelled they only have the universal available(and they are now $400, paid 320 and 330$ for the last 2), and I've had my fair share of welding fun this year already, so I'm going to only have 2 out of 3 birds with 2 on the left now :-(

Think I am going Hooker, liked it on my 442 and sounds good on my buddies Turbo-T

thanks
Jeremy

OK

Heres the issue :-)

Called Summit to order Hooker catback hok-16823hkr.

Being stupid I wanted to make sure it was the 4 bolt flange at cat, now according to hooker it is not and it is slip fit style at the cat.

So knowing mistakes happen, I bounced this back here to clear it up.

What I find here, the hok-16823hkr is a 4 bolt flange cat catback correct?

For the direct bolt on 4 bolt flange they tell me(hooker) to use the 83-95 listing 16822hkr?

Anyone shed some lite?

Sorry to be a pia but i know tech lines arent stacker with scientists and i need to order this.

later
Jeremy

16823 is the correct system I have it on mine.

The connection to the cat is not a 4 bolt flat thing but a "ball" shaped end of the pipe with a 2 bolt flange holding it together. On our original exhaust this is what it looks like as there is a small adapter with the flat 4 bolt atatching to the cat then the other end is the "male part" bolting to the exhaust intermediate pipe.

When I had my "test pipe" done I did one with the correct connection to the hooker system getting rid of the 4 bolt original adapter.

Not sure if this makes sense, if you need some more details let me know and I can try to explain it a bit better ;)

Hmmm curiosity killed the cat.

That is why I am going nuts.

When they(prior owner) replaced the intermeditate pipe. They must have either welded the cat for the flange or swapped a GN cat onto it for the 4 bolt flange.

I have a 4 bolt flange on my intermeditate pipe since I have had the car and on the cat that it cam with. The THDP came with a 4 bolt flange cat and 4 bolt flange cutout.

Maybe I end up using the 83-85 catback(16822) then to get the 4 bolt flange......

So I'm not crazy, the car was just changed and I didnt realize it.....

Anyone have some good stock exhasut pics?

interesting and thanks
Jeremy

Well,

Here is what I did :-)

found the flipped over TTA in the dealer showroom and found what I was looking for. We did have a dumb 4 bolt flange to 3 inch pipe adapter on there :-)

I raced the part number tag on my intermediate pipe thru to Walker and then to dynomax for an application. this led me back to the 4 bolt flange setup for the 83-85 cars. which my intermediate pipe crosschecks to.

So if u use the 4 bolt flange exhaust, just remove your cat to exhaust adapter section.

So I ordered the Hooker 15822 system which as a bonus also is only 233$ to my door :-)

So my fingers are crossed, but it looks like it will work fine as it :-)

later
Jeremy

Save yourself $50 on an exhaust for your TTA :-)

The Hooker 16822 catback fits like a charm :-)

Its on my car now, it retails for 219 vs. 269 for the 16823 all u do is remove the 4 bolt flange to ball adapter and bolt it up :-)

later
Jeremy

Does anyone know how close the Hooker is to the stock as far as where the tailpipes come out? I have a set of reproduction tips that I would like to put on my car and I'm looking to put a different exhaust on it anyways but I want it to look completely stock on the outside. Besides for that I like the stock tips.

As far as I know they come out in the correct location only thing the end pipes are straight and not bent (pointing down) like the original ones.

I had my stock tips welded on the hooker system adn at the same time I asked them to bend the pipes slightly to (from the outside) match the stock setup and I'm pretty pleased.

You can find pictures of mine here (with the hooker cat back)
http://la.rsson.com/exhausttips/

damn where was this info about 3 months ago when I was looking for exhaust

my tta came with just a houston downpipe cat and test/cutout pipe--got it that way from previous owner

I ended up buying just an intermediate and over the axle pipe from dynomax-I think it was like $90

I already have a warlock muffler--made by flowtech-it has a cutout built into it

at this point I was going for ultra cheap and not worried about what it sounds like--drove the car maybe 12 times since having and just been driving with open exhaust at the downpipe--LOUD AS HELL and made me very nervous about getting tickets-I've got enough points on my liscense already

so the dynomax came with the 2 bolt ball type end--I cut it off and had a 4 bolt flange welded on--was a bitch laying under the car trying to mark what position I needed it welded then duct taping the flange in position so the welding shop could do their job

picked the pipe up today--they bumped the flange and it moved so while I was there I had to position it all over again from memory--it should be fine because it didn't rotate out of wack but only moved side to side--I wanted it welded a little cocked to lign up better with the test pipe,no big deal if its off a little due to the flex section in the downpipe it should bolt up no problem

now I have to try and get the small piece of pipe out of the old warlock muffler--its in there pretty good and dented from the old type clamp that was used on it

its probably so messed up I'll have to just cut the end off and have a small section of pipe welded in or just get 3 bolt flanges welded on to the muffler and over axle pipe

welding shop only charged $3 to weld the 4 bolt flange on so no big deal and the warlock muff has a tailpipe on it already from when it was on my v-8 powered GTA

Back