Experienced M1 users opinion needed

turbobitt

Looking for some opinions on M1 and any corrosion issues when used with aluminum AN fitting, fuel rails, fuel cells and of course the intake manifold.
AG.

Looking for some opinions on M1 and any corrosion issues when used with aluminum AN fitting, fuel rails, fuel cells and of course the intake manifold.
AG.

Chris Hogeland is doing some things with M1 now. He designed a badass fuel rail for M1. I can't post the pictures because they're not mine, but if you reach out to him I'm sure he'll indulge you.

M1 in my jr fuel rail. We found that the anodizing was washed out of the fittings, and the rubber lines got harder than "the back of Superman's head". PTFE was the solution, along w/ a gas flush.
EFI experience: Have had several 10.5 cars that had severe fuel issues. Seems that the M1 ate up the filters, and plugged the injs.
M1 attacked the glue in the filter media, and the foam in the cell, lines, and did the deed.... Engine failures.
The solution was to remove the in line filter, replace w/ 2 stainless, change lines, remove cell foam. All alum components were then hard anodized.
On one, the filter count was raised to 3, and the inj filters were removed. I've not seen the injs since.
There are stainless inj filter baskets available.

For those that are into exotic gas.. A roundy round assn ran a spec LS engine. They had to use stock fuel system components...
The "race gas" was 114 "no led". Not sure what was in it, but it was NASTY! It melted the glue in the filter, and clogged the injs.

I been debating on building a stainless steel fuel cell, no foam but with a baffle box. I was wondering about how well the nickel plated endure fittings would hold up?? I'm probably due to change the fuel line in my car anyway so I'll start looking into the PTFE stuff.
AG.

I been debating on building a stainless steel fuel cell, no foam but with a baffle box. I was wondering about how well the nickel plated endure fittings would hold up?? I'm probably due to change the fuel line in my car anyway so I'll start looking into the PTFE stuff.
AG.

Aeroquip has nice PTFE hose

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm using Racetronix black anodized 5 gallon fuel cell with sending unit and foam for my alky, along with their teflon lines, fittings and filters for the last 2 years with no issues.

IMG_20160819_0249258_zpsdbfyc773.jpg

AG.

Kinsler specializes in alky setups. They sell hard anodized fittings for just about everything.

Their Monster Mesh filters also come hard anodized and have stainless steel media in them.

Ask for Justin in the Tech area and he can answer any question you could possibly think of.

I been heavily debating on making my own 300 series stainless 15 gal fuel cell. I have a design that is really close to complete to be used with a tank mounted Aeromotive brushless 5.0 gear pump. I have an internal baffle system based on there recommendations as well as a little support for the heavy pump. I'm a little concerned with the projected weight. Need to investigate the appropriate wall thickness to see if I can make improvements.
AG.
Fuel_Cell_03.JPG
Fuel_Cell_04.JPG

Fuel_Cell_02.JPG

I been heavily debating on making my own 300 series stainless 15 gal fuel cell. I have a design that is really close to complete to be used with a tank mounted Aeromotive brushless 5.0 gear pump. I have an internal baffle system based on there recommendations as well as a little support for the heavy pump. I'm a little concerned with the projected weight. Need to investigate the appropriate wall thickness to see if I can make improvements.
AG.View attachment 321724View attachment 321725

View attachment 321723

Have you seen the new AN fittings that DeatschWerks recently released? They are made of T-6061 and anodized with a titanium finish on them.

Have you seen the new AN fittings that DeatschWerks recently released? They are made of T-6061 and anodized with a titanium finish on them.
Yes they are anodized in a titanium look finish, that is not any more resilient to corrosion than any other color. I would have better luck with the nickel plated fittings.
AG.

Yes they are anodized in a titanium look finish, that is not any more resilient to corrosion than any other color. I would have better luck with the nickel plated fittings.
AG.

I was under the impression that hard anodized was the most corrosion resistant, as the layer of anodizing is much thicker?

Am I misinformed? (Genuine question. Not trying to be an ass)

I was under the impression that hard anodized was the most corrosion resistant, as the layer of anodizing is much thicker?

Am I misinformed? (Genuine question. Not trying to be an ass)
Anodize is just a cosmetically appealing oxide layer on the aluminum. It offers very little protection is harsh environments.
AG.